Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Torn ankle ligaments

(8 Posts)
Walkingdisaster91 Thu 29-Dec-16 15:00:57

Anyone ever torn their ankle ligaments? So i'm on crutches, no cast just a bandage, I Don't have any pain unless someone touches it and I was told I wouldn't be able 2 walk on it for 3-4 weeks and to be honest it hurts when any pressure is put on it. I have 4 boys 8yr old 5yr old 3 yr old and 20 month old so u can imagine how hard it is and how frustrated I am....all because I stood on the sofa 2 fix the clock and am clearly not capable of putting my foot down flat when I step off! Oh and after arriving back from A&E I see the lock was still an hour out!! Anyone else torn ligaments in their ankle? And how long were u off ur feet? hmm

Walkingdisaster91 Thu 05-Jan-17 17:10:26

Anyone?

asilikeit Thu 05-Jan-17 17:15:20

Me - many many times through netball . There are many who would say you are better with a clean bone break than you are torn ligaments. Recovery time has all depended on the severity - just the one or all 3( ?) around the ankle, has the ligament pulled any bone away etc. Have it up as much as you can, ice it as often as you can for 20-30 minutes at a time. Don't underestimate how much you need to keep it raised and rested. I was in cast a few times with mine so time off feet will be different but id say weeks rather than days and in terms of exercise much longer before strength is regained.

laurzj82 Thu 05-Jan-17 17:22:33

You have my sympathies. V painful. I fractured my ankle pre kids but at the same time tore ligaments on both sides too. I was in a cast for 9 weeks and then one of those air boot things for another 12 weeks but had a limp for about a year. I did a pretty spectacular job of it though, I would hope you'll be up and about within a few weeks although it will still be painful. You will definitely need some help with the kids and at home. Do you have an OH/family to help? Have you been referred for physio? My advice would be keep topped up on painkillers, after initial resting stage you will want to regain movement so don't be afraid to use painkillers to get moving again, you won't be doing further damage and masking it which is what I was worried about.

Hope you're up and about soon flowers

Walkingdisaster91 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:08:55

Thank you, yes my parter is doing all the school runs and we'll pretty much everything while still trying to work, whilst i'm sitting here feeling useless and frustrated sad all the doctor said at the hospital was I have completely 'shattered' the ligaments so not sure how many but the x-ray showed no damage the the bone, then he bandaged me up gave me some crutches (which i'm useless with) and gave me a self referral for for physio and told me not to try walking on it for 3-4 weeks. I can move it fine now in circles and everything and that doesn't hurt at all and the swelling has gone so I just have a bruise in fact the last time I had any pain from it was when I stubbed my toe on my good foot, landed on my bad foot, screamed out in pain then fell head first in the bath when I tried hopping back on to my good foot..blush it'll be week 3 tomorrow so maybe I should try a bit of weight bearing but i'm a bit afraid too hmm

HowardMoonsJazzTrumpet Fri 06-Jan-17 15:14:34

Sympathies flowers.

One of my DC's ruptured every ligament in their ankle during school sport. Non-weightbearing cast & crutches for 5 weeks, then weightbearing supportive moonboot (slippery death trap) for 7 weeks, then 3 months of physio. Mostly fixed now but that ankle is now more prone to minor injury than the other.

Walkingdisaster91 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:26:45

Oh dear, looks like this is going to take a while to heal sad I tried walking on it (with crutches) last Thurs and was doing okay, I wasn't putting to much weight on it but an hour after it really hurt! So I just tried again about 10 mins ago and the ball of my foot kills! I don't even know if that's normal, I feel like i'm never going to walk again shock I have handed in a self referal form for physio but there is a waiting list of 30 people infront of me.

Walkingdisaster91 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:29:31

Oh and it's been 4 weeks and 2 days. Am I just expecting way to much 2 soon? So many mixed things online (google). Some saying stay off it until it's healed, others saying that's the worst thing 2 do and I should b walking on it nowconfused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now