Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Lump 'down below' help!

(14 Posts)
closephine85 Thu 29-Dec-16 13:37:33

So yesterday morning I knew AF was on the way and wiped a little deeper than usual (sorry TMI!) when doing so I felt a lump. The best way to describe it is like a pearl earring, it's hard and round, about half a thumb length inside and towards the back to the right. It's not painful but maybe a little tender to touch. I panicked and booked a GP appointment straight away. She took one look and announced it to be scar tissue from when I tore delivering my son 5 years ago. She seemed utterly convinced that is what it is, but if so, I can't possibly understand how I would only be feeling this now. It's in a slightly awkward place but I'm SURE I would have discovered it at some point in the last 5 years. Has anyone any experience with this? Can scar tissue change over time and only develop a noticeable lump now? Or could it be something else? I'm going to ask for a second opinion as will be seeing a gynaecologist for an IVF appointment in a few weeks, but in the meantime I was hoping to feel relieved after my trip to the dr yesterday, but I'm not really!

GreatNorthern Thu 29-Dec-16 15:44:00

Yes scar tissue can change.
It's more important that you stop panicking and think logically.

- it's too small to be a prolapse.
- it's not cancer as vaginas don't get cancerous lumps like that.
- it's not a cyst or boil or it would hurt a lot.

Vaginas have all kinds of lumps and bumps. It is most likely just the normal folds rearranging themselves for no reason at all!

closephine85 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:23:39

Thanks GreatNorthern. Just wondering how you know cancerous lumps wouldn't be like that? DrGoogle tells me 'lumps' are one of the symptoms. You're right tho. I do need to stop panicking.

closephine85 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:27:38

Thanks GreatNorthern. You're right I definitely need to calm myself down on the panic front but Dr Google told me 'lumps' are a symptom of vaginal cancer so obviously my rational thoughts went out the window slightly. I guess I just have to watch and wait until my appointment in a few weeks time where hopefully another Dr will back up the GP.

closephine85 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:28:55

Argh sorry I didn't think my first post had posted!

GreatNorthern Thu 29-Dec-16 19:08:28

I think you should stop googling. If you are TTC you are young and I doubt anyone so young has vaginal cancer. It's extremely rare.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 29-Dec-16 19:17:45

Hi closephine, I hear you, scary isn't it ?
Don't worry, you wouldn't necessarily have found it before.
If you feel healthy and were okay before you found it, your GP, is probably right.
If you have any doubts, whatsoever, further down the line, or even now, you can arrange to see a consultant privately.
I've had one or two gynaecological scares, resulting in health anxiety.
This is your safety net, but more than likely, you'll be okay Sweet. 💐

GreatNorthern Thu 29-Dec-16 20:20:38

If you MUST google, look at the NHS site on it. It says most women with it are older (over 60), have bleeding and other symptoms.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 30-Dec-16 15:11:20

How are you today closephine 💐

closephine85 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:57:48

Hi Sugar, thanks for your reply. I'm attempting to stay calm and be rational smile I will ask about it when I see the gynaecologist for my IVF scan - it's just at the back of my mind I have this nagging that IVF won't be able to go ahead because this will need to be investigated!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 30-Dec-16 19:28:02

It truly maybe, just something and nothing.
You already have a lot on your plate with your IVF, it's only natural for you to rise to anything that could possibly threaten this procedure.
Try not to worry Sweet, easier said than done, I know.
I'll be thinking of you, and wishing you strength.
Let us know how you get on please.🌺

grumpmitchell Fri 30-Dec-16 19:42:17

Bartholin's cyst? Google it and see if it sounds similar. I had one and it went of its own accord but scared the bejesus out of me when I first found it.

closephine85 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:19:01

Thanks grump, I looked them up but I think mine might be too far in - looked like they are more on the outside, is that right? Mine's about an inch or so in.

grumpmitchell Fri 30-Dec-16 21:47:43

Not on the outside no, mine was a bit inside. Can't really remember how far but I noticed it in the bath, it wasn't visible or 'feelable' ordinarily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: