Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sleep teas/tablets

(8 Posts)
PotatoHolic Wed 28-Dec-16 22:40:56

Hi.

I'm on a low dose anti depressants which is doing the job but I think it's affecting my sleep. I'm on my knees tired late afternoon but when I go to bed at night I'm wide awake

Looking for something non prescription
Maybe herbal that'll help me fall asleep but not leave me groggy the next morning.

Any recommendations?

MollyHuaCha Thu 29-Dec-16 00:03:49

Chamomile tea is good for the evenings. If you are new to it, you might find it a strange taste at first, but persevere and after a few days you will find you love it.

NaughtyNiffler Thu 29-Dec-16 00:07:23

If you can find it, valerian tea is what I've found works the best for me! Like a ramped up version of chamomile! 😊

shewolfmum Thu 29-Dec-16 00:28:48

Scutaleria

UnbornMortificadoAtChristmas Thu 29-Dec-16 00:38:44

Phenergen it's an antihistamine. It doesn't leave me groggy but I have a high tolerance.

Gingernaut Thu 29-Dec-16 01:02:54

Valerian, passiflora and hops are the basis of most herbal teas and tablets.

Valerian is also related to catnip. If you have a cat, it's quite funny watching a cat virtually worshipping a teabag.

I've been on antidepressants for over ten years and sleep is priceless.

Cliché though it is, sleep hygiene is important.

No TV or distractions in the room. If you use your phone as an alarm clock, set the alarms outside the room and don't be tempted to have one last little browse before you nod off.

Instead of lying in bed, going through stuff that's happened/needs to be done, make a list of stuff to do.

Maybe write a journal or jot down things that are worrying you. Don't mull over it in bed.

Prepare your clothes for the next day.

I've used sleep masks for years. They're cheaper than blackout blinds and block out those annoying little lights around the room - standby lights, radio alarm clocks, mains connected fire, smoke and CO alarms, electric heaters.

They are an acquired taste. They also force me to close my eyes.

This will seem like a sick joke considering the state of you during the day, but restrict your caffeine intake to the morning or when you first get up. It can have an affect for up to 14 hours after consumption. Under no circumstances, have tea, coffee or cola before bedtime.

You may have to take the antidepressant at a different time. If they are stimulants, treat them like caffeine and take them at the beginning of the day.

Any tablets or teas you take, herbal or otherwise, are not for long term use. Try to use them short term as you reset your sleep schedule.

Good luck

PotatoHolic Thu 29-Dec-16 18:46:07

Thanks!

Yes taking anti ds in the morning now. Guilty of using phone in bed so will try changing that.
So a tea that contains valerian may help short term

Gingernaut Fri 30-Dec-16 08:45:47

Yes. If it's too nasty, you can take tablets but even they smell very weird.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now