Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what is this?! Nurse says not a prolapse

(15 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 28-Dec-16 18:39:13

I'm freaked out I admit. The last few days part of my vaginal wall has dropped down and I can feel it when walking around. It's like having a tampon in badly. I've had 3 chn so it's all a bit lumpy up there anyway but something has definitely dropped down. I saw the nurse today and she said that I haven't had a prolapse. So wtf is it?! And how can i fix it? It's awful and so uncomfortable sad

sadie9 Wed 28-Dec-16 20:51:42

It does sound like a prolapse of some sort. Either bladder or rectum falling into the vaginal wall. Is it a sort of squidgy lump that you can push in (if you feel it while standing up), that goes away when you lie down. You may have had it all along but it only makes its presence felt once it comes down enough, and when you are standing up. Did the nurse do a bit of an internal and ask you to cough?
With a prolapse also, if you lie down and place a couple of fingers in there and then cough, you might feel something moving forward with the cough. I'd go back and try and see the GP about it and try to get a referral to a Gynae.

Winniethepooer Wed 28-Dec-16 20:54:11

I wouldn't think a nurse would be the appropriate personbto diagnose a prolspse.
Go back to your GP and ask for a referral to a gynecologist.

Good luck.

icyfront Wed 28-Dec-16 21:11:16

I experienced something similar a few years back. It did feel like a lump or prolapse of some kind, just behind the pubic bone. I had had similar symptoms, as though there was a misplaced tampon, but it was only when I summoned up the courage to do a self-exam that I felt a lump/prolapse. I completely freaked out and phoned the GP practice in a panic.

Neither the practice nurse nor the GP could find a prolapse – though I did wonder whether that was just because I was lying on my back during the examinations, so gravity wasn’t pulling it vertically downwards. My GP did a speculum exam and saw a “dangly thing” that had probably grown off my cervix. He said it was completely benign and not that unusual, but he wouldn’t try to remove it as they sometimes bled quite a bit. So I was referred to a gynae, who confirmed from visual inspection that it was indeed a benign “dangly thing” and quite common. She removed it; and I asked to see it. It was the thinnest “dangly thing” imaginable; but she explained that the vagina isn’t just a muscle that expands for the purposes of intercourse/childbirth, but has a lot of nerve endings and is very sensitive.

I’m now some 15 years post-menopause, when things generally go a bit south anyway, but I’ve had no symptoms since. Whatever I felt when I did that self-exam all those years ago could well still be there but, if it is, it isn’t obvious at all.

I would suggest seeing your GP and asking for a gynae referral. I still remember how miserable it was to feel something wasn’t right every time I stood up or walked about.

(If anyone could supply the medical term of the “dangly thing”, I’d be grateful. And would add to the knowledge every woman should have of what various things can happen to our various bits and pieces.)

tigerdriverII Wed 28-Dec-16 21:13:19

Polyp? I've had a couple, one of which was quite impressive. Both benign and easily removed although look away if you're squeamish.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 28-Dec-16 22:35:58

😂 the dangly thing made me laugh, sorry.
It's like a lump with lumpy scar tissue on. Scar tissue isn't new but the lump itself is. It's definitely something has moved than a lump of that make sense? It feels like something has come down. I did wonder about the gravity thing whilst she looked as lying down it won't be the same will it.
I guess I need to go to the GP. Despite 3 chn I'm still mortified by this. I feel so old at the thought I could have a prolapse. I know this is ridiculous but I just feel horrific thinking my bits can't stay up.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 28-Dec-16 22:37:07

I'll try with the cough thing tomorrow thanks for that. I'd try now but DH in bed and I've not mentioned any of this to him. I'm that embarrassed

Iamthecatsmother Wed 28-Dec-16 22:40:29

I had a prolapse. It feels like a tampon falling out. In my case the pressure was relived when I lay down. From what you've described it sounds like a prolapse.

icyfront Thu 29-Dec-16 00:03:39

Oh, thank you, tiger. Now you’ve mentioned it: yes, my dangly thing was indeed a polyp.

Good that you’ve had a giggle, two, and absolutely no need to apologise. Nor should there be any need to feel mortified or embarrassed. Our bodies can do strange things, but even more so considering the effects of pregnancy. A prolapse has nothing to do with age.

Get to the GP/gynae. The sooner you know what’s really going on, the better.

LMonkey Thu 29-Dec-16 20:22:07

My mother had a prolapse and was basically ignored by doctors for 3 years as they would only ever examine her lying down..... which is hopeless as it goes back in! It wasn't until she saw a nice understanding female gp (though this is going back over 30 years) who examined her standing up and instantly recognised it as a prolapse of the womb that she actually got something done about it.

Go to your GP and insist on being examined standing up so that gravity can do its thing, they can see the full extent of it and hopefully understand how uncomfortable you are. Good luck

StoneRosesSallyCinnamon Fri 30-Dec-16 15:35:24

Hun go back and see someone else.

I had that 'tampon in wrong' feeling and I went to a GP with a prolapse and they examined me with a speculum. The speculum pushed the prolapse back in so of course, it was not visible on examination

I had to go back again to be diagnosed. It wasn't a really had one apparently and I had physiotherapy, no problems since

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 30-Dec-16 18:00:36

That is such a good point about gravity/speculum pushing it back in. I didn't get why she couldn't see t but that's probably why. I'll get an appt booked and hope for a good GP. Do you think a female one is better for female issues?!

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Fri 30-Dec-16 18:06:06

Can't tell you if it is or not, but I ex

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Fri 30-Dec-16 18:09:40

Explained symptoms to gP as I asked for a referral, wasn't going to let him examine me, not that he asked too as I know something is not right and only gyno can advise. Just wished I'd plucked up courage to do it sooner

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 30-Dec-16 18:36:38

sad it's been feeling worse this pm so I braved a look. It's awful. Definitely lumpy bits hanging down - like they're attached to a larger part of the wall that has come down enabling them to hang down. I don't know if they're polyps or scar tissue or what but it looks horrific sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now