Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hoarseness from steroid inhaler?

(9 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 28-Dec-16 15:52:23

I've had one of those really annoying asthmatic coughs and wheeziness after a cold so stepped up my inhalers as usual for a week. I now have more or less got rid of the cough but have an odd sensation at the back of my throat and almost no voice. It isn't painful and my tonsils are normal. I've cut the steroid inhaler back to my normal maintenance dose but am still having to use my blue inhaler. DH insists I should see the GP but I think it'll settle itself and I'll be wasting their time. Anyone have experience of this and if so, how long did it take to go away or do I need to see the doctor?

samandcj Wed 28-Dec-16 15:57:39

My mum had this and was told by consultant to gargle with water (and then swallow the water) after each use of the inhaler. Her voice is much better now.
Consultant said it was nothing to worry about.

Sittingunderafrostysky Wed 28-Dec-16 15:59:09

I get this, pretty much every Autumn.

Do you use a spacer with your steroid inhaler? Rinse your mouth out after every use. I drink hot water with honey and lemon, which helps too.

If it's really bad, might be worth speaking to you GP. I have just been put of an additional long term reliever (a green inhaler), which has been like magic, and I've managed to avoid increasing my brown recently.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 28-Dec-16 16:03:03

It's the powder from the inhaler. My DD was the same and the pharmacist said she wasn't inhaling deep enough. The suggestion to gargle straight afterwards really helped too.

Do consider seeing the GP if it lingers though, there is a lot they can offer now.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 28-Dec-16 16:17:55

Thanks all. I'll revisit some videos on technique to make sure I'm inhaling properly and try gargling afterwards. I used to have a spacer but when my steroid was changed they prescribed the inhaler on its own - it's annoying but not so much that I feel I need to bother the GP for another spacer if I can try to sort it myself.

myoriginal3 Wed 28-Dec-16 16:34:34

You don't need to gargle. Just a mouthful of water after inhaling.

myoriginal3 Wed 28-Dec-16 16:44:59

The insert of the inhaler packaging should include that information.

hairymuffet Wed 28-Dec-16 20:21:38

You can buy a spacer from the Chemist

Sittingunderafrostysky Wed 28-Dec-16 20:46:27

Actually, why not make an appointment with the nurse? Have you had a review lately? In my experience, they'd far rather keep you well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now