Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pneumonia

(7 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Wed 28-Dec-16 15:22:58

Been ill for 3 weeks- started with high temp, aching, bad cough then last Wednesday developed pneumonia and been in hospital now for a week. Had bad asthma flare up despite normally well controlled. Had steroids IV fluids antibiotics and oxygen. Levels today without oxygen for first time are 92 and range needs to be 94/98 before will let me home....
Starting to go stir crazy on a ward with lots of ill little old ladies who are up and down in the night- need my bed! Any words of wisdom or comfort or anyone had similar experience?

rubberballcomebouncingbacktome Wed 28-Dec-16 19:06:18

No wisdom only sympathy & high levels of empathy: only managed 4 nights before the other 'guests' drove me to despair.

Can only suggest a few things but you may have them all covered:

headphones and a good playlist at night or radio 4 at night and just have white noise.

iPad and Netflix & a months subscription.

Socks

Flip flops

Some clothes to make you feel normal then change for bed to establish a bedtime to help sleep.

Ask to have a bath & wash your hair.

Get someone to bring you in some fresh fruit.

Hope you feel better very soon & get home tomorrow. My little one has pneumonia at the moment, horrid infection.

RandomMess Wed 28-Dec-16 19:11:35

flowers

Are you feeling well enough and have enough support at home to consider self discharge...?

I can't cope in hospital, too noisy, too bright, just can't sleep!!!

It's a long slow recovery from pneumonia wishing you a speedy recovery.

lougle Wed 28-Dec-16 19:16:10

92% without oxygen isn't high enough, RandomMess. Allfur will need supplemental oxygen until she can maintain her own oxygen levels.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Wed 28-Dec-16 20:10:07

Yes seen Dr and keeping me in under review for 24 hours- waiting to see what levels are before 'sleep' def not coming out on 92!

LMonkey Wed 28-Dec-16 22:35:53

You poor thing flowers

Can someone bring you in eye mask and ear plugs to help you sleep? And snuggly blanket from home? And definitely iPad/good book to help keep you sane.

Sorry not words of wisdom, but I truly sympathise x

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Thu 29-Dec-16 08:40:50

All being well hoping to go home today- will sleep for England. Managed to sleep a bit last night despite lots going on the ward, sats improved so keeping everything crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now