Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Dh slipped down the stairs and banged his back

(23 Posts)
Swifey Wed 28-Dec-16 06:57:31

Just before Christmas. His lower back. It hurt for a while and was stiff, but felt better. He then brought a basket of logs in yesterday, and twisted whilst carrying it to avoid ds who was running without looking! He then couldn't move and was in a great deal of pain. I put him in the bath and gave him ibrufen and paracetamol. Once he is standing upright he can move gingerly around and when he's sitting down he's not too bad either. It's the difficulty of moving from one to another. His back seems swollen too.
After sleeping last night he is in a great deal more pain, as I presume its ceased totally in the night. So my question is, do I take him to the Physio, chiropractor or to our local (ish) small injuries hospital?
Tia confused

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Wed 28-Dec-16 07:01:42

Ice it. Anti-inflammatories.
How hard and how far did he fall? Does he have any issues with fragile bones, e.g. Osteoporosis or is he a steroid user - i.e. Asthmatic, has psoriasis, eczema etc?
Its probably a spasm BUT worth checking out to be sure.

O2BBesideTheSea Wed 28-Dec-16 07:02:57

I did this too, it's very sore. No advice sorry but hope he improves soon

Swifey Wed 28-Dec-16 07:14:35

Thanks for replying.
Not far at all, but just came down heavily on the edge of the stair (it has a hard plastic strip across it) He has no other problems and is 38.

So if I get him an appointment, where do you think is best?

PorridgeHoneyCake Wed 28-Dec-16 07:15:40

My MIL fell in a similar fashion a few years back (on stone steps so pretty damn hard). After a week the pain got worse and it turned out she'd cracked a couple of vertebra. I think you should call a medical professional and ask a few questions for some proper advice.
Hope he recovers soon.

Swifey Wed 28-Dec-16 07:22:25

I think you may be right; so doctor or chiropractor? hmm

Ditsy4 Wed 28-Dec-16 07:24:11

Osteopath will sort him. Sounds like he might have moved a disc very common in lumbar region. Make sure they are registered with the General Osteopathic Council not somone Joe Bloggs knows! Ice packs and anti inflammatories in the meantime. Usually they will see you quite quickly but because of New Year I would ring today.

PorridgeHoneyCake Wed 28-Dec-16 07:25:03

I'm in forrin and therefore not familiar with UK health system but here I would start with a doctor.

BikeRunSki Wed 28-Dec-16 07:25:16

Minor injuries or walk in clinic - they can assess and refer you on accordingly.

imsorryiasked Wed 28-Dec-16 07:26:36

I would go to the chiropractor.

ICJump Wed 28-Dec-16 07:29:04

Doctor so they can send for X-ray if possible

BakeOffBiscuits Wed 28-Dec-16 07:32:16

I too would go to a chiropractor.
Dh had a very bad back, that too was caused by carrying a load of logs into the house and twisting round. It turns out he'd twisted a rib!
Chiropractor did something to him which clicked it back into place and the relief was instant.

Make sure they are a properly qualified person.

PurpleCrazyHorse Wed 28-Dec-16 07:43:08

Because he's fallen, I'd see a doctor in case x-rays are needed. Then chiropractor if nothing broken.

Swifey Wed 28-Dec-16 07:49:58

Thank you very much for all your replies. I think I will call the dr when they open at 8:30, and we can go from there.

tissuesosoft Wed 28-Dec-16 07:58:46

I would go to the doctor and avoid a chiropractor until you know if there is any damage. They can't fix slip discs etc. For my spinal condition it has been known with others (who I know personally) who suffer with it and visited a chiropractor before diagnosis they have ended up with much worse and damage that can't be repaired. Hope the doctor can help!

Jydel Wed 28-Dec-16 08:14:38

Walk around as much as possible, ice packs, heat packs and ibuprofen

I hit my coccyx hard on the bottom of our stairs a year or so ago. It was painful for months but eventually got better.

I never go to the gp for backs

PinkSwimGoggles Wed 28-Dec-16 08:26:42

physiotherapist at a push
never chiropractor
maybe osteopath after first two have been seen

LadyPenelope68 Wed 28-Dec-16 08:28:33

He's fallen into his back so definitely a doctor/A&E/Minor Injuiries Unit. Do NOT take him to a Chiropractor or Osteopath, they are NOT medically qualified.

Swifey Wed 28-Dec-16 10:07:46

We have spoken to the dr and he recommended lots of heat and painkillers and trying to move as much as possible! grin

PinkSwimGoggles Wed 28-Dec-16 15:29:31

he needs to see a dr if it doesn't improve soon.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Wed 28-Dec-16 22:33:38

Ice, ice, ice. Heat will increase swelling. Not always a good idea!

PorridgeHoneyCake Thu 29-Dec-16 09:11:40

Blue - I was always taught ice for the first 48 to 72 hours for an injury. After then, warmth can help.

Hope he's feeling better now OP.

Goingtobeawesome Thu 29-Dec-16 09:15:19

Heat is a terrible plan.


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: