Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Uneven pupils and CAT scan

(24 Posts)
lizvic Tue 27-Dec-16 20:54:04

Hello

Ive recently noticed that my pupils are uneven.

My left one is much larger than the right in dim lighting.

I have been to an eye clinic and had the full works and a photo of that back of my eye and the chap said my eyes are fine as they dilate and constrict as they should.

So he has put the idea in my head that the problem is my brain.

I paid to have a CAT scan and it was normal. My GP did say that they can miss things.

I feel Im back to square one again.

What should I do? Ive become obsessed taking photos and looking in the mirror all the time. i even carry a compact mirror around in my pocket.

Should I ask for an MRI?

Thank you xx

titchy Tue 27-Dec-16 21:08:21

Normal, for you. Google pics of David Bowie's eyes....

lougle Tue 27-Dec-16 21:27:57

Which direction was the dim lighting shining in from? It could simply be positional. If a CT was clear and your pupils are reacting to light, your brain is functioning.

You need to stop worrying. We check pupil reactions to ensure there isn't increased pressure in the brain, which would be very obvious to anyone examining the back of your eye or on a CT scan.

lizvic Tue 27-Dec-16 21:46:52

Hi

Thank you for answering.

For example, in my small bathroom, I have 2 mirrors both opposite each other. In each of them, the same pupil is larger.

Im worried something could have been missed on the CT, and I should have an MRI.

x

HughLauriesStubble Tue 27-Dec-16 21:50:55

Same thing happens to a friend of mine and all scans etc have shown nothing amiss. Doctors said it's just one of those things that can't be explained.

PacificDogwod Tue 27-Dec-16 21:51:05

Normal variant - it's not that uncommon.

Every imaging test has a limit of what they can detect - I don't think that further and further testing will address your anxiety.
What is it you are worried about? Brain tumours?
They tend to come with additional and increasing symptoms, so if the unequal pupils are your only problem, relax.
It's a not uncommon variant (which DH happens to have).

DamsonGinIsMyThing Tue 27-Dec-16 21:54:57

My pupils are different sizes, was picked up after a particularly nasty eye infection. Barrage of tests later and nothing found, doctor reckons it's permanent damage to the iris after the infection but it has no impact upon my vision.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Tue 27-Dec-16 21:55:34

In many people it is completely normal (often they were born with it but only noticed as an adult)
In others due to an eye problem
In others a problem in their brain
In others some rarer causes

What did your GP recommend? Why did you have a private CT scan - did your GP advise you to have a ct scan?

It may be something that is normal for you

Lupinlady5 Tue 27-Dec-16 22:12:05

I've had this for ages. Had my eyes checked and they were fine. Nothing's ever happened so I've left well alone!

lizvic Tue 27-Dec-16 22:34:17

Hello

Thank you.

I had a private scan as I have had a headache for 4 weeks, sinus, I think. It changed to a thumping one on the side of my head and then I heard popping inside my head, so I went to A&E.

They have me a brief neuro exam and recommended a CT.

My GP thought they were being over cautious.

I have got severe anxiety and so I automatically think the worse - brain tumour, bleed in the brain, etc.

I didnt want to wait over the Christmas period and so went private.

I have got some antibiotics now and am feeling a bit better.

x

MegGriffin Thu 29-Dec-16 17:17:10

I have uneven pupils that developed in my 30s. I had loads of tests but it was blamed on a virus that somehow got in to my eye. It doesn't affect me but looks odd (DH cals me crazy frog).

lizvic Thu 29-Dec-16 18:10:53

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Nobody seems to want to give me any tests.

I just get a light shined in my eyes and as they dilate and constrict like they should, people tell me there is no problem.

Im having trouble accepting this. I need to know why it is happening.

My anxiety is so bad ATM.

x

MegGriffin Thu 29-Dec-16 18:24:52

I didnt have a cat scan or Mri but they did an eye ultrasound and rubbed their chins a lot.

Lupinlady5 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:27:57

I've had it for ages (first noticed it 7 years ago!). Nobody could work out what caused it, and like you they saw my pupils working so weren't bothered. All I can say is, nothing's ever happened (touch wood!!). So I just assume it's one of those things. There is loads of assymetry in the human body.

lizvic Thu 29-Dec-16 18:36:03

Thank you xx

Banderchang Thu 29-Dec-16 20:21:59

Last year my ds (then 6) went to A&E with an eye injury and they identified that his pupils were different sizes. It freaked me out completely: we were referred to the eye infirmary and I also took him to an optician. Thorough investigations from everyone, and he's fine, it's just one of those things. Dh pointed out that I also had this (esp in dim lighting) but we never realised with me or ds until his eye injury made us look more closely.

But I had terrible anxiety about this and couldn't let it go. I was convinced that something else was wrong and we were missing it. Actually the problem was that I was getting very stressed at work and somehow fixated on this eye issue which really wasn't a problem at all. Once my anxiety became worse (panic attacks, tingling hands, etc) and I started dealing with the anxiety, I forgot all about the eye situation. Also, the fact that it was ds with the issue made me be stricter with myself about not putting him through endless unnecessary tests just to make me feel better. I didn't want to make him worried when there was no need.

So, in the kindest way, can I suggest you try to get support for your anxiety rather than focus on the eye? I've been there and that was what I needed to do, but it took me many sleepless nights and tearful conversations to realise it.

lizvic Thu 29-Dec-16 20:42:16

Hi Banderchang

Wow, I glad you are both OK.

Yes, I am obsessed. I carry a compact mirror around, checking all the time.

Ive been to yet another optician today.

I cannot let it go - my GP and my psychiatrist both said a CT can miss things.

I know Im a nightmare - if my kids have a temperature, I think they will catch menengitis and die. I cannot help it, its the way I think.

Personally, I dont think I can rest until I have an MRI.

x

Lupinlady5 Thu 29-Dec-16 21:30:13

The problem is, you can never have absolute certainty over health. So the best thing to do is take the doctor's advice. If you needed an MRI, they would order one.

Don't panic when I say this, but even if you have a private MRI, it could throw up things you would never have known about that will in all likelihood never cause you any issues in your life. Then you'll have set off a whole other spiral of anxiety!!

MySkin Fri 30-Dec-16 13:05:02

DH and DD both have this. Doc says it's fine. So does optician.
Sounds like health anxiety is your issue here, OP. Very unpleasant, but manageable. There is online support for it, and also you might be able to get a referral for psychological support from your GP. Good luck.

AliciaMayEmory Fri 30-Dec-16 13:15:51

I agree with Lupinlady5. You could just be adding to your anxiety.

It might be worth using the money you would spend on the private tests to get some treatment for your anxiety. I have a friend who is constantly having tests for something or other when there is actually nothing physical wrong with her. It's all fed by her anxiety. Even if you do get the definitive all clear for your eyes, there will be something else that you will worry about. You need to break the cycle.

lizvic Fri 30-Dec-16 14:48:08

Thank you ladies. I'm actually seeing a private psychiatrist on Tuesday. Another problem I have is it don't like to take medication. It scares me.

Also hand feels funny like it's not working properly.

I'm trying to be reasonable and tell myself it's being on my mobile in bed that has made my wrist and hand go funny. confused

So now I'm worried about a brain tumour, stroke or MS. blush

I just want to be normal.

I really appreciate everyone's kindness here xx

MotherFuckingChainsaw Fri 30-Dec-16 15:22:05

I cannot help it, its the way I think

And therein lies the problem.

If you get the eye 'sorted' your anxiety will just latch onto something else. I've been there and it's shit. It really is. See your eye problems for what it is, just another manifestation of anxiety.

Work on fixing the root cause. It won't be easy, my anxiety wasn't as bad as yours and it took medication, 3 lots of counselling and intensive CBT to get it under a semblance of control. But I HAVE got it under control after years of pointless worry. I could really regret how much of my life I've just wasted mithering about nebulous ' what ifs'

Good luck and I hope you get through this

PacificDogwod Fri 30-Dec-16 18:23:43

You can learn to address the way you are thinking - unhelpful thinking patters can get changed and new, more constructive ones can be 'learnt'.

I agree with everybody who has said that you need to address your anxiety, NOT seek ever more tests.

lizvic Fri 30-Dec-16 18:41:19

Hi

Yes, thank you.

I know I have to address my anxiety. I was on medication until last new year, when it was stopped being manufactured.

My GP was quite dismissive and gave me something that just didnt work,so Ive been getting worse for a year now.

Im looking forward to Tuesday and hoping i can be helped.

Once again, I really appreciate how non judgemental you all are.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now