Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cystitis or liver damage?

(13 Posts)
Muddlingthroughtoo Mon 26-Dec-16 19:49:33

I drink a fair bit, usually at least 2 glasses of wine or spirit and mixer a night. Lately I've been feeling rough (I know, no shit right), run down, tired, swollen hands, weight gain. Yesterday I had a touch of cystitis and blood in my urine, today I still have it except a lot more bright red blood. So much so I though it was my period. Will this pass, do I need to see the doctor?

lljkk Mon 26-Dec-16 19:53:18

Aren't you in bad pain, too? Any fever?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 26-Dec-16 19:55:25

Yes, you need to see a doc or a nurse. Or GP surgery has it set up that the nurses can deal with cystitis and sort prescriptions. Does it not hurt to pee?

danTDM Mon 26-Dec-16 20:01:15

Really doesn't sound like liver damage. Get to the docs. 2 glasses of wine is not likely to cause liver probs.

Muddlingthroughtoo Mon 26-Dec-16 20:03:28

Yes it does hurt, I feel a bit funny too, flushed face. An ache in my back and side kind of pain.
I always forget about the nurse practitioner, I'll give them a ring in the morning.

poisonedbypen Mon 26-Dec-16 20:05:09

Ache in the back is because the infection has gone to your kidneys. Drink plenty of water and go to the doctor asap

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 26-Dec-16 20:08:21

blood in urine def needs following up. could be liver. your gp will probably do a dip test and refer for bloods.
good luck!

Muddlingthroughtoo Mon 26-Dec-16 20:28:37

Thank you, I'll go tomorrow. I didnt want to go if it was something everyone else would deal with with over the counter medicines.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 26-Dec-16 20:37:03

In the interim, do you have any barley based squash in the house? My GP recommended adding that to water as being good for cystitis. Plenty of fluids in any case will help flush things through although it is still sore.

If you have a late night supermarket or chemist, there are OTC things that can help, but which aren't cures.

Muddlingthroughtoo Mon 26-Dec-16 21:23:14

Just realised it's bank holiday tomorrow! Local hospital has a minor injuries dept so I'll go there.
I have had some cystitis powders/drinks Vivienne, they eased the burn but not the blood and only temporarily. Haven't heard about Barley drinks, I'll have to keep them in mind.

Muddlingthroughtoo Tue 27-Dec-16 10:11:14

Dialled 111 this morning and after speaking to operator, nurse and ooh doc I have a lovely course of antibiotics and a slapped wrist for not doing it sooner! smile

danTDM Tue 27-Dec-16 21:34:38

Great result smile
Feel better soon
masses of water!!

Lovelybangers Tue 27-Dec-16 22:10:51

Glad you have been sorted out OP

When I get cystitis there is always a lot of blood in my wee. I did think I had it this week but turned out to be due to all the beetroot we'd been eating.fblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now