Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Ingrown toenail (pic included) u have been warned :/

(11 Posts)
lorralorraloren Mon 26-Dec-16 17:55:21

Hi all just wondering if anyone can help? I've had an ingrown toenail before and pulled it out myself - just done it now (hence the nail being so short and horrid looking) but I'm freaked out now looking at my toe. Is there anything I can do about this or do I have to wait until Wednesday when the docs reopen? Thanks in advance and sorry for grossing anyone out!

TheoriginalLEM Mon 26-Dec-16 17:58:44

Hopefully it will settle down, I would try and keep it uncovered to let the air to it

lorralorraloren Mon 26-Dec-16 18:00:54

Thank you! My DP says I need to let it dry out and then snip it off. It does feel better now I've dug the nail out I have cried several times with the pain these past few days sad

PotteringAlong Mon 26-Dec-16 18:01:33

You could try putting it in warm salty water to draw out any infection?

lorralorraloren Mon 26-Dec-16 18:03:09

I've just done that for half an hour but with antiseptic in the water smile will do it again before bed thank you

teabagsmummy Mon 26-Dec-16 18:06:03

When mine was like that I made a tiny wick out of cotton wool and put it under the corner or the nail-- my dh did as it was so painful-- but bit took a good bit of pressure of it

lorralorraloren Mon 26-Dec-16 18:08:24

Do you mean to just leave there? I've been trying to push it back with a cotton bud

lorralorraloren Mon 26-Dec-16 18:08:57

I don't want to lose my nail - my gran has a big toe nail missing and her toe looks like a bum hole blushgrin

teabagsmummy Mon 26-Dec-16 18:12:14

Yes until you see a dr, my husband had seen a podiatrist with his and she had done that. I never lost my toenail but remember it being so painful at the time

kiwiblue Tue 27-Dec-16 16:33:21

Soak in warm salty water and yes then make a tiny pad of tissue or cotton wool, wet it and put it under the nail corner. Leave it there, will take pressure off and help it grow back properly. Can also help to cut a V shape in centre of nail to help it grow back away from corners. I used to suffer from this a lot!

Yoarchie Tue 27-Dec-16 16:37:08

I had my big toenail surgically removed life is better without it op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now