Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

3 days of sputum samples

(6 Posts)
lovingmyginandiphone Sun 25-Dec-16 12:30:49

Hi

I am seeing a consultant for a persistent mucus production/cough combined with asthmas deterioration over the course of 18 months.

I have had blood tests for allergies, lung function test, X-ray, CT scan of sinuses and lungs and about 3 courses of antibiotics so far...

Apparently I have tree pollen allergy but am already on antihistamines and they've switched my inhaler to symbicort which is much better but now want me to produce 3 days of sputum to test for TB etc before I start a month of antibiotics

I got the pots and the meds on Thursday but no idea whether I should wait to start the samples until I can take them in daily or if I start today I could take them in Tuesday afternoon/wed morning in one go and then start the antibiotics....

Any suggestions as to what would be best and should I be storing the samples in the fridge or at room temperature?

MinisWin Mon 26-Dec-16 18:44:51

This test (known as sputum AFB testing) is best done on early morning samples, but as long as you get 3 samples over at least a 48 hour period each 8 hours apart that's fine! Do make sure you get at least one or two early morning samples. There's a useful document here - it's written in medical jargon as it's a professional guide but gives lots of detail and tells you everything you need: www.doh.wa.gov/portals/1/documents/pubs/343-non-sputumcollectionafbtestingprocedurestandingorders.pdf

Pop the samples in the fridge when you've collected them too, and label them with date and time collected.

MinisWin Mon 26-Dec-16 18:49:10

Sorry, just re-read your post - I would drop them in each day if you can and make sure you refrigerate them immediately if you can't take them in within an hour of taking the sample. The lab/ward might tell you otherwise when you drop them off but better to be prompt with it I reckon. (I work in healthcare and used to order these tests for patients lots)

lovingmyginandiphone Mon 26-Dec-16 22:31:18

Thank you! Surgery is open on Wed so will make sure I start tomorrow and keep in fridge until I can take in!

HedwigHardHat Mon 26-Dec-16 22:38:06

TMI but make sure you get up the good, thick stuff. I have worked on a TB ward and patients would politely spit a bit into a pot which is no good, they need the proper green stuff for a good sample.

lovingmyginandiphone Tue 27-Dec-16 13:03:17

No problem there Hedwig smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now