Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone experince of anaemia in children?

(7 Posts)
Eve Mon 19-Feb-07 18:19:36

I have always been anaemic and take iron every day. I have never worried about the kids but over the last few weeks we have noticed that DS1 always seem to be tired and more tired than his friends.

I always out it down to school and things, but I am noticing a few things at the moment

For example, I took him and some of his friends swimming for an hour last week, his friends came out of the pool chatting and joking.. my son could hardly string a sentance together.

Also he is having compelte meltdowns over nothing... which DH says is exaclty how I am when I am at low ebb. When we have a row, he says ..whens the last time you took iron....and is usually a few days ago.

I don't really want to take him to the doctors for a blood test... hes only 7, so am giving him spatone iron (says suitable for children).

He does eat a good diet generally...lots of pasta in our house and eats meat as well.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similiar situation with their children and how it was treated?

bambi06 Mon 19-Feb-07 18:31:06

my ds also aged 7 has to supposedly have blood tests regularly [we dont as its too stressful] as he has an extremely limited diet due to asd ....he gets very pale and wornout looking and tends to have behaviour problems wehn its low..he has supplements everyday..spatone is fine..we use floradix /feroglobin liquid iron[at present] my son has no meat /cheese/veg etc so really consumes very low doses of iron..but i am also in the same boat and wonder if its anything to do with me ..my iron stres are very loww and if i don thave iron for a couple of days ..i tend to feel very lethargic and heavy..cant see straight ..my eyes get to feel crosseyed!! cant focus or concentrate and want to sllep all the time...i`m taking spatone as its the only one that makes a difference .i`ve been prescribed tablets but they have no effect .doyou have the same problem and may iask how you goton whilst pregnant..i`m pregnant with my third and my iron levels are low and i feel sooo tired..check your sons gums and undr lower lids ..if theyre pale it usually indicates low iron..this is ho wi monitor my ds.. remember milk taken at th same time as iron will inhibit oron absorption..take vit c with it to increase absorption

jellyhead Mon 19-Feb-07 18:38:32

My dd was found to be anaemic when she was admitted to hospital with an eye infection.
She was 3 at the time and a very poor eater. She would drink lots of milk and eat fruit but her diet lacked any red meat, eggs and breakfast cereals which area good source of iron.
She had 3 months of iron supplements and an improved diet and has been ok since.
She is quite pale [like me] but didn't get tired during the day but would go to bed at 6.30 and sleep 12 hours.

Eve Mon 19-Feb-07 19:17:26

Hi,

I was dreadful when I was pregnant, I had severe morning sickness which didn't help, and I ended up having iron injections.

They were so painful but after 2 weeks of them I felt fantastic.

It was the consultant who made me have the injections and also threatened a blood transfusion if levels didn't pick up. The midwives and GPs looked at the results and used to say you'll be ok. I think my iron level was about 2 or 3 at my worst with 2nds pregnancy.

I also take spatone every day, only thing that helps and if I have a few days without it the difference is very noticable... I get very very irritable and (even though I would never admit it) very unreasonable!

bambi06 Tue 20-Feb-07 14:07:10

its interesting that a lot of people are mentioning spatone as the only one thats amking a difference..has anyone tried other iron supplements and found not as good?

Eve Sat 24-Feb-07 10:01:07

to be honest the other tablets make me feel very sick and I have IBS so they upset me that way.

Spatone is very easy to take and digest.

kittypants Sat 24-Feb-07 10:06:12

if hes that bad he cant talk after swimming id visit doctor.
were veggie and im always trying to get enough iron in my lot.they love dried apricots,spinach and i give them vitamin c to help absorbe it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now