Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My DS is having surgery to remove his gallbladder and I am worried about it

(21 Posts)
dswithgallstones Fri 23-Dec-16 21:20:42

My DS is having surgery in January to remove his gallbladder. He has been through the mill with multiple A&E visits in the past few months. He had a procedure to clear gallstones from his bile ducts, but the only permanent solution is to have his gallbladder removed surgically. He is 26 and according to the docs he is very unlucky to have gallstones at such a young age as they are most common in people over 40. The doctors have said If he doesn't have surgery then the gallstones will keep coming back and causing problems. It is supposed to be a straightforward and commonly performed procedure that takes around an hour to complete. It is still surgery though and there are risks associated with it. It has to be done under a general anaesthetic. Has anyone here had their gallbladder removed or has friends or relatives who've had the surgery? DS does not seem particularly worried about it but I can't help worrying about it myself.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Fri 23-Dec-16 21:26:07

I had mine taken out about 10 years ago. Easy operation. I had some pain for about 3 or 4 days afterwards in my shoulders which is very common. I have an inch long scar sort of in the middle under my boobs. A tiny little 1cm scar on my right hand side and a small scar in my belly button. I was out of hospital the morning after surgery and was a bit delicate for a few days but I could eat normally again right away. Occasionally if I have a bad sickness bug the place my gallbladder bladder was is sore again, not sure why, but really, for me, it was easy surgery, quick recovery and I felt so much better not having those damn pains any more, they were horrendous.

Easier said than done, but try not to worry.

PoochiePoo Fri 23-Dec-16 21:27:04

I had mine done via keyhole surgery and was home the following day. It was very straightforward.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Fri 23-Dec-16 21:29:29

I had mine out when I was 27yo and it was fine, I was sore for a day or two but it was completely worth it!! The pain of gall stones is unbelievably horrendous.

StinkyMcgrinky Fri 23-Dec-16 23:55:21

I had mine out at 25 after my gallstones went undiagnosed for 2 years as I was so young sad the op was absolutely fine. Key hole and I was up and about very quickly after coming round. I was sent home with strong painkillers and told to test but I didn't really need the codeine for more than a day or two and then I felt like a completely new person. I did wake up with a drainage tube which I wasn't expecting, but it wasn't painful and was easily removed with no problems.

I would choose recovery from surgery over a gallstone attack a million times over. I hope it goes just as well for him smile

CotswoldStrife Fri 23-Dec-16 23:57:11

DH did, he's been fine since the procedure. He suffered quite a bit beforehand, even went yellow with jaundice so I wasn't worried about the procedure! I hope it goes well for your DS.

Kreeshsheesh Sat 24-Dec-16 00:00:23

I had mine out last year via keyhole surgery. It was very straightforward. I was very anxious about the GA, but staff were very reassuring and kind. I went back to work a bit too soon, injured my back and ended up being signed off an extra week, so tell your son to take it easy afterwards!

OutToGetYou Sat 24-Dec-16 00:17:43

Yeah, had keyhole surgery about fifteen years ago, was early thirties. It was fine

Teapotqueenie Sat 24-Dec-16 00:21:33

I have had mine out, i cant describe how much better life is without it, and the associated pain and stress worrying about an attack.

I was in and out in 2 days. I felt like i had done a million sit ups but that was it.

MrSlant Sat 24-Dec-16 00:29:05

I think my cousin was in her late teens. She must be closing in on 50 now (FGS don't tell anyone that!) and is stunning and healthy and a hard working mum so I don't think it impacted too heavily on her life.

cantthinkofabloodyname Sat 24-Dec-16 00:37:07

I had my gallbladder removed in May this year. The relief was so good, as I had gotten used to the constant pain over the years of having a gallstone. Only a matter of days later I realised that the nagging pain had gone.

Yoarchie Sat 24-Dec-16 00:42:24

A friend had this done. She said it was all fine smile

Sharptic Sat 24-Dec-16 00:45:09

The surgery seems absolutely fine. After biliary colic , jaundice and a 2 week hospital stay, DH was home the same day his gallbladder was removed. As previous posters said, it's keyhole and the afternoon effects are minimal.

ZygellaOsgood Sat 24-Dec-16 00:47:16

I had my gallbladder removed when I was 23. I had been misdiagnosed so many times that I didn't believe the op would actually fix the pain! It did! I had keyhole surgery and was home the following day with no problems.

Astro55 Sat 24-Dec-16 00:49:59

Me too! Felt so much better afterwards!

The pain is worse than labour and can last days -

HandbagCrazy Sat 24-Dec-16 01:33:40

I had mine removed at 24 for the same reasons. Operation was a keyhole procedure, done at 3pm, was discharged the following morning. Was sore and tender for a few days but recovered quickly.

I will say that gallstones are bloody painful, and mine were missed so many times that I ended up in hospital for a month with acute pancreatitis which was excruciating. I'd take the op over those a million times over!

Please try not to worry OP (easier said than done though I know) flowers

Mamabear14 Sat 24-Dec-16 06:59:20

I had mine out at 25. I'd had huge gallstones for years. It was fine, I was driving again a week later, and the relief after was amazing. I still have my gallstones somewhere in a pot, they are the size of malteasers. Also, I can eat cheese again which has been the ultimate best part grin

Noofly Mon 26-Dec-16 17:42:56

I just had mine removed on Friday! I'm 48 (which they kept calling young grin ). I was released on Saturday and I'm pretty sore but getting up and moving around for short bursts really helps.

The pain with the gallstones was really bad. Mine came on suddenly and was an emergency operation. I went into our local hospital early Thursday morning and was transferred that evening to a different one for the surgery. DH came to bring me an overnight bag and was horrified to find me unable to move or speak with the pain after having left me drugged up that morning, happily talking about going home and scheduling the surgery for a later date.

I'm pretty good with pain- DS was a forceps delivery and the only pain relief they'd been able to give me was paracetamol! This was almost on a par with that. I am very very relieved to have had the surgery.

Mumthedogsbeensick Wed 28-Dec-16 21:14:07

You're his mum you are allowed to worry it's your job! My mum is worrying about my pending surgery and I'm 43! I'm waiting for a date to have my gallbladder removed and it can't come soon enough. I was in agony Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I've spoken to a few people that have had surgery and it's all been positive. I just keep thinking how much better I will feel afterwards.

hanban89 Wed 28-Dec-16 21:57:07

I had mine out at age 23 and I was in constant agony. The surgeon said he had never seen anyone with so many shock it was done keyhole and I was allowed home the next day. I was very tired for a week and had to rest, I also developed an infection in my vein from the site of the canular in my hand. I took myself to A&E as I felt shocking, and mentioned an ache in my arm. It was also very hot, red and swollen up to past me elbow, but a strong course of antibiotics and I recovered well. Think that was just bad luck. Also have managed to eat a normal diet.
Your son will feel so much better for having it out. And within two weeks will feel as good as new.

Eolian Wed 28-Dec-16 22:00:38

Had mine out in June after excruciating pains. Op was fine and I recovered really quickly. No further issues at all since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now