Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What vital organ is under my right ribs

(13 Posts)
Hairyhat Thu 22-Dec-16 13:09:18

I've had a pain off and on for a couple of weeks. I get IBS so attributed it to that. Now I'm worried as it's under my right hand ribs and not really behaving like IBS. Can anyone help? Reassure me or do I have to see the doctor more urgently than after the holidays?

JennyOnAPlate Thu 22-Dec-16 13:10:49

Gallbladder?

Hairyhat Thu 22-Dec-16 13:12:28

Thanks Jenny

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 22-Dec-16 13:13:05

that's liver/gallbladder area I think.

helpimitchy Thu 22-Dec-16 15:33:17

Yes, that's the gallbladder. I have problems there as well.

I would suggest buying some buscopan and cocodamol unless you can get something stronger prescribed. If you do experience a gallbladder attack it can be extremely painful. The buscopan can relieve the spasms.

Try to stay away from very fatty foods. A greggs pasty set mine off the other day, but I managed to catch it in time.

Get some lemons, olive oil and apple cider vinegar in as well. Take these mixed together in a cup with some warm water. This can also be done during an attack too.

GingerHollyandIvy Thu 22-Dec-16 15:42:37

Gall bladder, most likely. Pain is excruciating and generally after eating fatty foods? I lived on steamed veg until my gallbladder was removed.

Hairyhat Thu 22-Dec-16 17:09:05

Oh wow thanks you guys. Yes fatty foods seem to set it off. Hence I was assuming IBS after eating. I was worried it was my liver and I couldn't drink over Christmas!!!

Hairyhat Thu 22-Dec-16 17:18:36

It could be worse, I LOVE steamed veg and should be a bit thinner this Christmas?

LuluJakey1 Thu 22-Dec-16 20:04:18

Definitely sounds like gall bladder. Be really careful over the holidays. I ended up in hospital for two weeks with pancreatitis because a small stone got trapped in the duct to my pancreas. It was horrific pain - even morphine barely controlled it. I was almost screaming at times in agony. 100x worse than giving birth to DS. I left with 20 painkillers a day after a fortnight and had pain for the next 6 weeks until I was well enough to have my gb removed.

Definitely no alcohol. Low fat diet, don't over eat. No dairy, or chocolate. Have buscopan in the house and co-codamol. Good luck, hope it does not flare up.

Cheerful story for Christmas but please be careful.

LuluJakey1 Thu 22-Dec-16 20:04:55

The small stone got out of my gall bladder and then stuck.

helpimitchy Thu 22-Dec-16 20:07:59

Be careful with alcohol mind. And avoid spicy stuff.

Hairyhat Thu 22-Dec-16 22:15:38

Thanks all. I definitely needed that advice. I was happily off to drink vino all Christmas. I'll make a GP appointment too

SmokyMountains Thu 22-Dec-16 22:24:21

Like Lulu I had the two week hospital stay due to pancreatitis caused by a gallbladder stone.....it is unbelievably painful.

As well as fatty foods I found that if I sat hunched over it also tended to set mine off. Docs thought this was unlikely at first but it got so I could predict an attack after being stuck in the car for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time and I met someone in the post surgery ward who said exactly the same thing, so try and get up and around if you can.

Buscopan and Omeprazole were better for me than painkillers, that didn't really touch it.

Go to docs as soon as you can, you have to jump through a few hoops to get it whipped out but I haven't had a moments problem since they took mine out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now