Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore eye, now swelling. Can I treat it myself? Pic inc.

(7 Posts)
Xmassamx Wed 21-Dec-16 19:28:33

Yesterday I started with a sore lower eyelid. I've had this before but it would usually resolve itself if I left eye make up off a day or so. Today it's worse though, The lower lid is painful to touch and I did wonder whether I have a stye forming. I've never had a stye before though so wouldn't really know.
I called to the pharmacy today and bough golden eye drops for minor eye irritation and infections, the pharmacist said it should clear up on its own.
This evening though I have developed a swelling lower down on the top of my cheekbone, I can see it in my peripheral vision and I can feel a swelling.
Can I treat this with anything myself? Seems ridiculous to take up a GP appointment but it is bugging me, it's painful to blink.
Any suggestions please? Do styes usually cause swelling like this?

LIZS Wed 21-Dec-16 19:31:34

Oww. Had similar a couple of years ago . It did go down of its own accord eventually , with hot water and salt bathing but left a cyst on inside of my eyelid.

GlitterGlue Wed 21-Dec-16 19:37:57

I'd try an antihistamine and see if that helps. Otherwise go back to the pharmacy and see what they suggest?

Dontlaugh Wed 21-Dec-16 19:46:29

Try antihistamine then if no joy back to chemist, or possibly GP. Do you notice a difference when you don't wear eye makeup? Have you changed your brushes/mascara/eyeliner? Could old ones be too old, and need changing? There's a few possibilities.
Have you any allergies in general?

ggirl Wed 21-Dec-16 19:48:42

I think if it's still tender , warm and swolllen tomorrow it's worth getting it see as possible cellulitis around the eye area may need antibiotics

Xmassamx Wed 21-Dec-16 20:00:58

I've only ever had a slightly sore eyelash after makeup before, not a full on painful and swollen lump. I've just taken an antihistamine and will visit my GP in the morning if it hasn't improved. I will also give my makeup an overhaul too, I have had a new mascara, maybe it's that. Thanks everyone, Google wasn't my friend so I thought I'd ask for sensible and balanced opinions.

Dontlaugh Wed 21-Dec-16 20:39:38

Google is not your friend, ever! Even a sneeze leads to certain death.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now