Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

6 month old with chesty cough

(13 Posts)
REIDnotREEDorREAD Mon 19-Feb-07 13:28:45

my ds has a cough and bad chest, any ideas what i can give him to help the cough? it is one of those coughs that really rattles when he coughs, it sounds really painful. He's had tixylix, but it doesnt really ease the cough. I give him medised at night but that just knocks him out rather than help his cough iykwim.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

olivo Mon 19-Feb-07 13:32:47

hi reid - my dd had this, nothing would shhift it, eventually a trip to the docs and she was given abs for bronchitis. like you, couldnt find anything you could give to a baby that would help it.
good luck.

REIDnotREEDorREAD Mon 19-Feb-07 13:36:40

thanks olivo.

ds had a cold about 6 weeks that seemed to last for ever so we took him to the docs, have gave antibiotics for a 'secondary infection'. This cold is different to the last one. last time it was more in his nose, this time its his chest. (poor thing ) if it lasts much longer i'm going to take him back to the docs.

thanks again x

REIDnotREEDorREAD Mon 19-Feb-07 13:39:08

wow just re read my post! can you tell 'm doing 3 things at once!

6 weeks ago and we took him to the docs and he gave antibiotics.

BigHotMama Mon 19-Feb-07 13:43:03

Hi Reid, my ds is also 6 months today and has a chesty cough and cold, took him straight down docs as think I passed my chest infection onto him poor thing and I needed AB's to get rid, he's on AB's too and seems a lot perkier but still very snotty. Try a bit of Snuffles Vapour rub too, helps with the breathing.

REIDnotREEDorREAD Mon 19-Feb-07 14:01:26

have tried snufflebabe BHM which really does help clear his nose, its the cough and bad chest i'm concerned about, i think i will make him an appointment at the docs to see if he needs antibiotics.

REIDnotREEDorREAD Mon 19-Feb-07 14:02:13

he hasnt been in contact with anyone with a chest infection though so i was hoping it wasnt that sserious, though dh has had a cold for a while.

BigHotMama Mon 19-Feb-07 14:50:17

These horrid bugs/infections seem to travel fast and furious lately dont they? Not even sure where I caught mine from? It must be hard for babies with bad chests as they dont know how to get rid of their flem like we do, it just sits there for longer urgh!
Hope your lo gets better soon Reid!

skay Mon 19-Feb-07 15:09:16

Have you tried Medi-sed?

REIDnotREEDorREAD Mon 19-Feb-07 15:25:57

yeah, he has it at night, but he still coughs!

REIDnotREEDorREAD Mon 19-Feb-07 15:26:30

thanks BHM x

coppertop Mon 19-Feb-07 17:04:39

Dd had something similar a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely worth getting it checked out by a doctor IME. Good luck.

REIDnotREEDorREAD Wed 21-Feb-07 21:13:55

been to the doc. he has a chest infection. He's now on antibiotics and has 'anti wheeze medicine' poor little thing!

thanks for all the advice xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: