Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone here have bunions?

(6 Posts)
kissmelittleass Tue 20-Dec-16 22:30:28

I have had bunions on both feet for 30 years since I was a teenager when squeezing my feet in to stiletto's seemed a good thing! I just noticed tonight that my right bunion has got bigger with what seems a harder bump on top of the bunion and it also looks as if it has pushed far more in to the toes compared to the other bunion. I have only noticed this now but am remembering in recent months when I need ed to buy boots for the winter that my normal size 6 was feeling tight across that foot. I bought a wide width pair and also have noticed over the last few weeks that the right foot bunion hurts when I walk .I am just wondering will the new swelling go down?Is there anything I can do to help it? In the summer I wear flat converse shoes and never have any problems so I think its the winter boots that have started it off. I also get a sore throbbing pain for a few minutes sometimes. Anyone else have this? your experience much appreciated!

kissmelittleass Tue 20-Dec-16 22:33:40

I should say that it only hurts when I walk in the boots I bought a few months ago but I do get a throbbing pain every now and then even in bed.

RandomMess Tue 20-Dec-16 22:35:57

Mine isn't particularly visible but it does throb/hurt/stab from time to time. Surgery is drastic and only for severe cases from what I've read about them.

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Tue 20-Dec-16 22:36:49

Wearing high heels of any kind will aggravate the toe joint, as when your feet are elevated your entire body weight then transfers through the heel, down the foot to the toes.
You've already said that wearing flats is better for you, so maybe stick to flatter, and possibly wider footwear. Otherwise the joints may possibly become more painful.

BadgeronaMoped Tue 20-Dec-16 22:59:04

Ouch! I would recommend booking an appointment with a chiropodist if you can. I had a lot of pain from my bunions, this was helped with advice and insoles from the chiropodist (turned out I have 'flat feet').
Hope you're less sore soon.

LittleBoat Tue 20-Dec-16 23:08:37

I have very painful bunions and have had one operated on which was painful, had a very long recovery time and in the long term hasn't helped at all. If anything, my feet are worse for it.

I can only wear very wide, flat, lace up shoes or boots with no seam across the toes. Trainers are good and Clarks do some great shoes for bunion sufferers.

I have never worn heels, I think most bunions are hereditary; my gran and mother both had them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now