Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smelly c-section wound 6 months on.

(10 Posts)
Afo Tue 20-Dec-16 00:06:16

Hi, it's just dawned on me it's been 6 months since I had my 3rd c/s and my wound is still giving me trouble. I had antibiotics in the early days but nothing since about 4 weeks post section.
Sometimes it's very red and angry (usually when I've tried it squeeze into shapewear for a rare night out), sometimes tender (DS's little legs are the just the correct length to kick me just there when bf in bed) and sometimes smelly and discharging. I shower every day and do my best to dry it well.
What I don't know is if it's some sort of infection or is this just the way it is when you have a large overhang? It does smell foul when its wet, like an infection, maybe once or twice a week, but then seems to dry up of its own accord again. I haven't been to the GP with it since 6 week check, as after my 1st cs I had a tiny open sore that didn't heal over for 5 months and I assumed this would be the same, but 6 months down the line I'm getting the same problem just as often. I'm wondering is his normal? Is it in fact not an infection but just sweat and grime from a day with a post cs belly and a lot of baby weight that I have yet to lose?

Musicinthe00ssucks Tue 20-Dec-16 00:12:05

It's probably fungal from the over hang. Have you tried Canesten?

Afo Tue 20-Dec-16 00:15:24

No music I haven't! I had fucidin in the early days, and an antifungal powder but hadn't a clue what to try and I'm a bit squeamish about it tbh! I'll pick some up tomorrow and give it a try thank you.

GlitteryFluff Tue 20-Dec-16 00:19:05

Watching.
My cs was 2yr4m ago and occasionally my scar area is wet and smelly which I assumed was down to the overhang rubbing etc. I just wash it, dry and then put a medicated talc on it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 20-Dec-16 00:20:48

Sudacrem is nice for this I recall.

hairymuffet Tue 20-Dec-16 00:25:52

Try drying it with a hairdryer and then a spray on antifungal, like daktarin. You can also use nizoral shampoo to wash the area. Cutic ur talc is good.

hairymuffet Tue 20-Dec-16 00:26:11

Cuticura

hairymuffet Tue 20-Dec-16 00:27:22

Or take a fluconazole thrush tablet

Musicinthe00ssucks Tue 20-Dec-16 00:29:45

You sound exactly like me Afo. I'm squeamish about mine - hate touching it etc. and had a bad infection there after DD1. Canesten works for me but put it on once it's nice and dry.

Afo Tue 20-Dec-16 07:25:06

Thanks a lot everyone good to know it sounds normal enough i'll try those suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now