Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What is this?

(20 Posts)
Mamabear14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:26:44

This is on my DP. He has had it for a while now and is being a man and point blank refusing the doc. He went once and they gave him some steroid which didn't do much and since then he's been buying jock itch stuff off the internet which is doing precisely nothing. He says it stings a lot and itches. He originally thought it was from his belt but we have changed all that and got bigger stuff etc and still not eased. I am trying to convince him to go to the dr but it's slow progress.

Mamabear14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:27:44

Also he has sandpaper rashes on his arms, since all this has started which the dr gave him double base gel for. In case that could be connected.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 19-Dec-16 21:30:24

looks like a fungal infection. i am.blessed in the nork dept and sometimes get this when i sweat. I think the gp gave me fucidin cream. i don't think uou can buy it over the counter. You could try a hydrocortisone cream to reduce the inflamation.

loveyoutothemoon Mon 19-Dec-16 21:31:13

Looks as though it could be fungal. With it being in the crease of his belly where he'll get warm and sweaty. Maybe he needs an anti fungal cream?

Sometimes women get it under the breast.

lovelycats Mon 19-Dec-16 21:32:53

He has to see the doctor again. No ifs or buts. Rashes can be a nightmare to diagnose. Has he had any swabs taken? My first thought was a fungal infection/'jock itch' but if anti-fungals are doing NOTHING then he really needs it seen. If the GP can't fix it in a couple of visits then he will be referred to a dermatologist.

Mamabear14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:34:10

He's had daktarin? Cream and that didn't do anything but I don't know if it's very strong. I said it's probably been untreated properly for so long which is why it's so bad. It seems to have scarred and the skin is real thick, like elephant skin. Would a pharmacist be able to do much or shall I drag him to the doc?

Mamabear14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:35:10

No they didn't give him any swabs, just the double base and the steroid stuff. I think it was eumovate.

lovelycats Mon 19-Dec-16 21:44:34

Really trying not to sound patronising, sorry if I am, but did he use the creams properly? You need to be quite militant with skin complaints, keeping it clean and dry and applying steroids regularly according to prescription. If he really will not go to Dr, try some Canesten (clotrimazole) on it. A simple swab from GP would confirm if it is fungal. Trimovate would be a good one to try, it's a combination anti-fungal, steroid and antibiotic cream - but you need a prescription!

Mamabear14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:49:22

Yeah he's been quite meticulous about it, he has actually tried canesten, some of mine from the bathroom! This has been ongoing MONTHS now, and he's driving me slowly crazy. He keeps himself really clean, dry but doesn't use powder or anything. Let's it air once he's home. I don't really know what to do if he won't see the gp, he can't just keep trying different things each month!

Mamabear14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:50:31

I am trying to nag him into going Friday when he's got a half day, he can go and ask about his vasectomy at the same time, he will be thrilled grin

minisausage Mon 19-Dec-16 21:51:04

Just on the off chance I get terrible sores on my belly if my belt has rubbed as I'm allergic to the metal??

DipsyLaLa22 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:56:01

Contact dermatitis from a metal buckle or metal button on jeans? I get it from the backs of rivets on my jeans. Doesn't look fungal. Back to GP...

timeforabrewnow Mon 19-Dec-16 22:16:37


Back to GP and referral dermatologist - looks painful/uncomfortable

gamerchick Mon 19-Dec-16 22:23:01

Yeah I would say contact dermatitis, needs betnovate.

He needs to see his doctor and find out what the allergen is. Which looks obvious from that photo.

Mistykit Mon 19-Dec-16 22:25:31


Mamabear14 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:28:20

It's definitely not ringworm, I had that when pg and it's nothing like it. Could be psoriasis, my stepdad has it so I always think of that as being white grey flakiness. I will mention contact dermatitis to him and tell him to get himself to the doctor.

hairymuffet Tue 20-Dec-16 09:49:49

Looks fungal to me. Get him to take a fluconazole tablet ??

NotCitrus Tue 20-Dec-16 10:03:40

What about going and asking the pharmacist for an opinion - they may suggest something and advise on how best to use it, and then DP might heed them and go to the doc if it doesn't get better?

gingeroots Wed 21-Dec-16 12:00:23

ow that looks really sore .Another vote for GP .Maybe different one to last time ?

soontobemrsmckeown Wed 21-Dec-16 23:21:29

I get this under my boobs. I've found that baby talc helps with the itch and redness

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: