Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The World Is Just a Great Big Onion - All New 10 / 10 Club Week 2

(198 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Mon 19-Feb-07 08:33:20

For anyone who wants a boost to their general health. The suggested goals are:

EAT 10 PORTIONS OF FRUIT AND VEGETABLES EVERY DAY - if you don't usually eat much fruit and veg I would build up gradually or you could upset your digestion.

DO (AT LEAST) 10 MINUTES OF EXERCISE EVERY DAY - can be yoga, stretching or something more energetic. The plan is that the idea of doing 10 minutes is not too daunting, and having started you may well find you want to do more.

There are no restrictions on what you eat so long as you get your 10 fruit and veg as well. The focus is not on weight loss but on improving our energy levels and hopefully our general mood and well-being. Sign up below and post here to tell us how you're getting on and how you are feeling.

FrannyandZooey Mon 19-Feb-07 08:39:12

Ok, a few questions for our regulars:

Do we want to change the exercise goals, as it has been suggested they are a bit crap?

Do we want a separate social thread for random chit chat and other stuff that might scare new people off, and just stay on topic on this thread, or do we want to keep it all together?

Any other changes or wishes for the group?

Overrun Mon 19-Feb-07 08:43:26

All I can say is, thank god I was too ill to visit this thread on Sunday. To think that I contemplated visiting it in the evening as I started to recovery <shudder>
As this is supposed to be a new and shiny non bodily fluid thread today, I wont go into to details.........
In answer to your questions Franny. I think part of the fun of the thread for me, having a thread where I know I can chat abit as well as motivating myself on the 10/10 front.
As for the exercise thing, I am with Filly on this (It must be a South Wales thing). I really do struggle to do more, and often think right thats me finished, after the required 10 minutes.
What can I say, pretty hopeless hey. I actually did my pilates dvd on Saturday and am pretty sure that it might have contributed to the migraine I had yesterday, so thats a bit offputting

FrannyandZooey Mon 19-Feb-07 08:53:48

Sorry to hear your fluids were not all in order Overrun Hope this week is better for you.

So are you saying you want the exercise goals to stay the same because you would struggle to do any more, or that you would like them to increase because you have no motivation to do more on your own? (sorry but I need things spelt out in words of one syllable this morning)

Right I thought it might be helpful to state our own individual goals for the week - mine is to go back to the gym no matter what I end up doing there - even if I just go on the cycle machine for 10 mins. And to keep up the good work on the f+v because I was superb at that part last week

foxinsocks Mon 19-Feb-07 08:58:46

I think I'm going to have to sneak onto your threads this week (sob) if that's ok.

It's half term though so it might be hard to fit all the exercise in.

Since having this flu/chesty bug, I've put on about 3 kilos and got very used to feasting on cakes and biscuits (ahem) because ds got it (was off school for 4 days), then I got it, then dd got it so I was stuck inside for about 10 days in total.

I know the aim isn't weight loss but I tend to find that eating better + the exercise should do the trick on that score anyway.

FrannyandZooey Mon 19-Feb-07 09:02:52

Yay! Please join us, foxinsocks

Yes as you say, eating this way definitely helps weight loss if that's what you want. We are all being a bit slack about exercise I think, except NQC who is our fitness guru But I am sure we will try to motivate you and think of some ways you can fit it into your half term activities. How about taking the kids swimming? How old are they?

foxinsocks Mon 19-Feb-07 09:08:34

I would normally try and swim during the week but haven't done so for a couple of weeks (due to bug). Kids (age 5 and 6) have got swimming lessons every morning this week (I should be taking them but I'm waiting in for delivery of the new bathroom). I might ask if I can swim while they are in their lessons actually then I could definitely fit in some exercise (slight shudder at the thought).

foxinsocks Mon 19-Feb-07 09:12:18

where are you Franny (I mean location wise)?

CheesyFeet Mon 19-Feb-07 09:27:25

foxinsocks our house was hit hard by the bug too, so I've done very little exercise other than a brisk walk for nearly three weeks. You are not alone

I'm going back to aerobics tomorrow night and fully expect to be a quivering wreck by the end of it!

Today I have brought into work... 1 fruit salad (2 portions), 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 pear, 1 salad (2 portions).

I'm actually finding fitting 10 in to be quite tricky. I seem to be constantly eating

aviatrix Mon 19-Feb-07 11:57:15

Message withdrawn

aviatrix Mon 19-Feb-07 13:48:33

Message withdrawn

Overrun Mon 19-Feb-07 16:21:16

Aviatrix, were you doing some form of pilates style exercise on your pelvicfloor? I ask, because I did some on Saturday and ended up with a migraine on Sunday/
Franny - um, I personally would like the exercise targets to stay the same. I think 10 minutes extra from what you usually do is an attainable goal. I do some classes during the week, when I am motivated etc, but it is just good to think right I'll have a 10 minute burst now, and doesn't research say that little and often is most effective?
Good luck with the gym btw

FrannyandZooey Mon 19-Feb-07 17:46:23

Well thank you for all the feedback, we will keep things as they are unless I hear otherwise

We have eaten all the fruit from the organic delivery so fruit will be a challenge later. Have had apple, pear, raisins, kiwi grapes, prunes, apricots (varying amounts so not sure how many portions - 5?) and some cucumber in a sandwich (best I could do in a cafe). We're having a big salad tonight so that will sort out the remaining portions.

I walked for about 4 miles today and that will have to do for my exercise, even though it was particularly slowly.

Ooh - does anyone know what to do with plantain? We have bought one and don't know how to cook it - much hilarity from ds who thinks it is a giant banana...well, it basically is, isn't it?

Fox I am in Essex.

foxinsocks Mon 19-Feb-07 19:21:34

haven't done particularly well on the 10 a day thing - had an apple and a naartje while we were out. Had lettuce in my sarnie from the cafe at lunch time. Will make spag bol for tea tonight so that will have onions, mushrooms, red peppers, tomatoes and garlic so hopefully those count!

On the plus side, went on a 2km walk in the forest at this place we went to today and spent all day on my feet traipsing round exhibits so I think that sort of counts as exercise (though it was all at child's pace so not particularly taxing).

Plantain - I think what you do with it depends how ripe it is. If it is yellow/black, you can do something sweet and if it is green, then something starchy (may have got that wrong though!).

NotQuiteCockney Mon 19-Feb-07 19:25:06

Ah, plantain is great. You want to wait until it is black, and then fry it, basically. It is not edible raw. And it really should be all black.

We had lunch out today, but I did have a salad, and have since had a giant stir fry. Biked to and from DS1's school this morning. Might do a TaeBo tape tonight.

My goal this week is to not be quite so crude on this particular thread. Maybe I should just start up a separate 10/10 body-fluids-and-slugs thread, to vent it all in there?

Tomorrow we are off to the Science Museum. I might bike to there? Dunno. Otherwise, I don't know how I'll exercise. DH seems slightly poorly, so I might be tubing both ways and doing school run both ways? Not sure.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 19-Feb-07 19:50:34

(Oh, and I went shopping for a hoodie today and bought a dress! Two dresses! And a hoodie, and a shirt, and some leggings. Which was good progress.)

FrannyandZooey Mon 19-Feb-07 21:10:56

Ooh, the hijinks we have had with this plantain today...showing it to random strangers on the way home, scaring a small dog with it...lying in wait for dp and shouting "Look at our giant banana!!!"

it was worth 68p of anybody's money

NotQuiteCockney Mon 19-Feb-07 21:12:03

Have you been transposed into some sort of Carry On Wnaky Basketing film?

FrannyandZooey Mon 19-Feb-07 21:39:50

Oh, the thought of being crude with it hadn't actually crossed my mind

<<<honest>>>

it is just really comical to have this (apparently) giant fruit to startle people with, I mean, imagine if you had a 2 foot apple. That is the kind of effect this has had.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 19-Feb-07 21:41:43

Why isn't the title 'We eat fruit, we go for a walk, then we talk about it?'

And where is this week's quote from?

FrannyandZooey Mon 19-Feb-07 21:54:45

I felt after we had all said four times how funny it was, it had lost the spontaneity and humour somewhat

This quote is from a really, ahem, moving, Marvin Gaye song, about an, erm, onion

"The world is just a great big onion & pain & fear are the spices that make you cry
Oh, & the only way to get rid of this great big onion
Is to plant love seeds until it dies, uh huh"

I felt it had a lot to say to us all

aviatrix Mon 19-Feb-07 21:59:51

Message withdrawn

Overrun Mon 19-Feb-07 22:02:31

Well, I realised that I haven't clocked in. I think I attained my portions today, with, 2 bananas, an apple, apple juice, cabbage and onion mix, roast carrots, and strawberries for dinner.
No extra exercise, which I really must think about. In my defence, I am still having aftershocks from this migraine, and because I wonder if the pilates started the whole thing off again, I am a bit reluctant to chance it again.
Nethertheless, my motto for this week, is to come up with some more forms of exercise that I do feel comfortable doing

aviatrix Mon 19-Feb-07 22:08:30

Message withdrawn

suzycreamcheese Mon 19-Feb-07 22:17:43

i got the onion thing straight away marvin's the man!
overrun...i too can suffer from migraine but thought exercise should help..is there ought else that might have triggered it?
I do recommend swimming, have been indulging myself once a week of late (laying thanks at the feet at the god of pre-school) as am just not a gym type and ballsed up my t'ai chi good intentions)....its great ME time too....

not good on the f&v front though..one clemintine and hearty winter salad do not 10 portions make

crikey..i do gob on...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now