Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What should I ask my GP about night sweats?

(7 Posts)
Shannith Mon 19-Dec-16 09:45:00

Bit of background... I have been back and forth with the GP to sort out loads of things. Ovarian cancer scare, completely fucked back and nasty reactions to pain medication.

All sorted now, ish.

But, two things I want to talk to her about today.

I have not had a period in 2 years. I have lost about a stone. I have cold, clammy night sweats about 7 times a month. These keep me awake and are not much fun. They are not hit sweats, I wake up covered in sweat but freezing. I was tested for perimenopause last year and they said to wait and see.

I am 41.

She seems unconcerned by these symptoms, but it can't be normal. If it is peri, then apart from herbal stuff, should I be asking for tests? If so, what ones?

CondensedMilkSarnies Mon 19-Dec-16 09:47:36

It does sound like the menopause . Just tell
The GP your symptoms and let them decide what tests are needed .

I take yam and sage supplements for the menopause although I still wake up drenched .

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 19-Dec-16 10:09:53

If you haven't had a period for two years and are suffering sweats you need to be checked up on. If you are post menopause, that is one year plus since last period, and you are only 41 you need to be on HRT to protect your heart and bones.
You need to go back, to see if it is early meno or something else going on.
Herbal supplements will do nothing for osteoporosis/heart disease prevention. HRT will sort the hot flushes out.

Shannith Mon 19-Dec-16 10:35:49

Thanks. It feels weird asking for HRT at 41. But it is what it is.

I have not had much fun with prescribed medicines in the last year or so. tramadol neatly finished me.

I wish I could have a GP appointment at 4am when I am covered in sweat and shivering, not now when I look fine.

Having had three cancer scares in the last two years involving biopsies, scans and whatnot, I am a bit paranoid.

Getting old is crap. I thought I had a few more years in me before the stupid body decided to fall apart 😀

If you looked at me, you'd never know and I think the GP just puts me in a "well groomed Surrey mum" box and does not see me at the low points when I have to change the sheets and lie awake all night, sweating.

On the surface, all fine, underneath, not so good.

Fingers crossed I get somewhere. I have been taking all the herbal stuff and it makes not a blind bit of difference other than to my bank balence.

schmack Mon 19-Dec-16 10:39:14

i am getting this at 43 but still having periods, it's horrible isn't it? i am changing the whole bed 3/4 times a week. Is the only option really HRT?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 19-Dec-16 10:48:46

Don't be put off of HRT, once you have found the right one for you it is wonderful stuff. There are no health risks if you are under 51 ( average meno age) as you are replacing what your body should be doing.
Leave it to nature or herbs when in your forties and you are risking heart disease, osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy and I wouldn't wish that on anybody! Plus of course bladder symptoms, I have been lucky and escaped those so far anyway, you will sleep better and no flushes.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 19-Dec-16 10:51:09

www. Menopausematters.co.uk
A great informative site and forum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now