Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A thermometer that gives accurate readings?!

(21 Posts)
rollonthesummer Mon 19-Dec-16 09:21:32

Is there such thing!?

My GP and the hospital use really speedy one beep ones which they seem to trust but the ear one I've got has never given the same reading twice so is horribly inaccurate. I have an ancient digital under the tongue one that doesn't seem accurate either.

My hand seems more reliable!

Is there a good one?!

DesignedForLife Mon 19-Dec-16 10:20:30

We have Braun thermoscan and it's as accurate as it needs to be, it's what GPs and hospitals use

rollonthesummer Mon 19-Dec-16 10:51:07

Thank you for your reply. You'd think the Brauns would have consistently good reviews if that's what GPs use!? I don't want to spend £30/40 for an inconsistent thermometer!

Amazon

This one still has 21 one-star reviews!

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 19-Dec-16 10:54:07

Well it's quite normal to get different readings - different ears, different part of the ear touched with the thermometer... you may be searching for the impossible.

rollonthesummer Mon 19-Dec-16 11:07:10

Well, the ear thermometer I have gives different readings when you do repeated readings from the same ear, so I want something more accurate than that. I don't think I'm asking for something totally impossible.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 19-Dec-16 11:14:40

I'm not being awkward - but why do you need it to read the same each time? For example: if I thought DS had a high temp, I'd take his temp once or twice (to check I didn't get a wildly false reading by not using it properly) then would treat as appropriate and probably take again in an hour. I use a braun digital one for that.
If I took someone's temp and got a wildly high reading, I'd take it a few times and use that information to influence what I did next.

rollonthesummer Mon 19-Dec-16 12:16:44

DD is off school ill this morning. Before ringing the school, I took her temperature. It was 36.2. This didn't seem very high when her head felt pretty hot, so I took it again. It was 38.8, so I took it again-it was 37.5.

Those are very different readings.

bigbluebus Mon 19-Dec-16 19:02:11

I've had that experience recently with that type of ear thermometer too OP. I have found using one of the digital thermometers underarm to be the most accurate way of getting a temperature (but don't forget to add 0.5 on to the result.)

hazeyjane Mon 19-Dec-16 19:09:56

I use the Braun thermoscan - it has been really good. Ds has complex health issues, including difficulties with maintaining a constant temperature, but we have never had any problems with the Braun.

A lot of the 1 star reviews on your link are for things like - no night light,lid pops off, not as good as old model etc. There are a couple which say it varies in accuracy, but I guest they could. Be faulty?!

Janey50 Mon 19-Dec-16 19:13:49

IME the only reliable thermometer is one of the old fashioned mercury ones. No use for a baby or young child I know.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 19-Dec-16 20:47:10

I guess in your situation I would surmise that your dd has a high temp and treat as usual. I'd say to the docs that I took some readings and one of them said 38.8.
Hope she feels better soon.

rollonthesummer Mon 19-Dec-16 21:50:21

Thank you all for your replies. Are the Braun ones the thermometers that the NHS use?

Are there any doctors or nurses here reading...?!

hazeyjane Mon 19-Dec-16 21:52:53

Its what our paed and gp recommended when ds started having febrile seizures.

Mamabear14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:54:03

We were recommended thermoscan by the doctor. We have the one that glows green/yellow/red alongside the temp. It's helpful in the middle of the night.

rollonthesummer Mon 19-Dec-16 22:32:21

Ok-I'll have a look at that-it's the Thermoscan 7, think!

Thank you all.

Lovelilies Mon 19-Dec-16 22:40:04

I'm a nurse and we use these on the ward... but shock the price!!
http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/medical-thermometers/genius-2-tympanic-thermometer.html?gclid=CJP09LCpgdECFUMTGwodU6wL4g

PurpleWithRed Mon 19-Dec-16 22:44:44

Just checking - are you pulling the top of the ear up before inserting the probe into the ear canal and making sure it points in the same direction each time? Tympanic thermometers surprisingly tricky to use consistently especially on small children.

Lindy2 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:53:16

I find those little strips you place on the forehead pretty accurate. You have to wait about 30 seconds for a reading but they only cost a few £ and do a good job. I've never found a good ear thermometer and have wasted money on several rubbish ones. My little plastic strip things however, are still doing a good job despite being several years old now.

Haudyerwheesht Mon 19-Dec-16 23:03:19

Another vote for brain thermoscan. You do need to position correctly and consistently though.

BertrandRussell Mon 19-Dec-16 23:07:46

If a child is poorly and feels as if they have a fever then treat appropriately. If not, not. Treat the child, not the fever.

DesignedForLife Tue 20-Dec-16 10:18:28

Braun thermoscan is what the paediatric ward nurses were using to help rule out sepsis when we were in with 14 week old DS. That's good enough for me.

If you want more accurate you probably need to do rectal thermometer. Ear is probably easier and kinder to child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now