Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ongoing low grade fever?

(5 Posts)
MountainDweller Sun 18-Dec-16 22:54:43

Hi, I have had a low grade fever for about six weeks, with intermittent cold symptoms. I don't know if I've been really unlucky and caught several colds in a row or it is one thing dragging on. I get very hot and dizzy if I am at all active for more than a few mins, then strip off and five mins later am freezing. Repeat 100 times a day! Have taken my temp and its about a degree higher than is normal for me. (Normally 36.6, now 37.7)

Not sure if it's worth mentioning to doctor? Also should I treat the symptoms with paracetamol to bring down the temp or should I just let myself have the fever to allow my body to fight off potential infection?

In case it's relevant, I have endometriosis and am on a medication that creates a fake menopause for that, but have been on it 6 years and been stable on it till now so don't think it's hot flushes. Also my thyroid is borderline under active. Two years ago I was anaemic, solved by iron transfusion. I also have chronic pain and am on a lot of meds, but again have been on them and stable for a while. Is it likely that with this lot my immune system is a bit feeble and I'm just picking up constant bugs? I don't have distinct cold symptoms though - I had one day with a really sore throat but it didn't turn into anything and a couple of days of being bungled up and a few sniffles but no full on snot!!

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 18-Dec-16 23:02:06

Your symptoms sound quite vague and perhaps you're just run down, but none the less I think it would be worth going to the doctors and requesting a blood test, given your persistently raised temperature. Just to make sure!

MountainDweller Sun 18-Dec-16 23:08:59

Thank you! I will make an appointment.

theconstantinoplegardener Mon 19-Dec-16 07:30:32

And if you are suffering from tiredness or breathlessness, or have any swollen glands (in your neck, armpits or groin), be sure to mention that too. Hope it goes well!

Haggisfish Mon 19-Dec-16 07:32:22

Could be your thyroid-ask them to check it as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now