Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsils - at what point to see dr?!

(18 Posts)
yellowpostitnote Sun 18-Dec-16 12:50:12

Huge, left very big. Paracetamol not cutting it. Red angry sore. I've tentatively tried ibu as well but not really supposed to due to mild asthma (I'm not sure it's a trigger though).

White stuff coming from middle grin but not covered in dots.

About 10 days - I really thought they were getting better a couple of days ago. Now back with vengeance.

I only really ask as a colleague had quinsy two weeks ago and don't fancy that xmas pressi.

Pooka Sun 18-Dec-16 12:53:49

GP tomorrow definitely.

They will want to check:

1. Any pus?
2. Any temperature
3. How long been sore for
4. Whether glands are up.

Depending on the answers, the GP will make a judgement about whether likely to be bacterial and if bacterial will prescribe antibiotics.

Pooka Sun 18-Dec-16 12:55:00

I was always told that one sided was more likely to be bacterial, but it's not exact science and gps will tend to appraise the range of symptoms to assess, and in the last few times I've had tonsillitis I have also had swabs to make sure.

Sycamoretrees Sun 18-Dec-16 12:55:53

The doctor told me this week that if you have a temperature, don't have a cold, white puss on tonsils, swollen glands in neck and it's lasted this long antibiotics may be helpful sooner rather than later. Hope you feel better soon, I'm on day 21 and just feel I've turned a corner now.

yellowpostitnote Sun 18-Dec-16 13:14:35

Ok, good point, no cold or cough ( no cough for me amazing) pus from centre. One side noticeably larger. Yes have had glands up, feel a bit tender down neck. I have had chills and flushes, didn't bother taking temp. I feel a tad woozy at times today. But not on the floor (as when I had mild pneumonia).

I don't obv wanf antibiotics unless really nec and I know GPs are hesitant.

I think it's the fact it's actually getting worse now whereas on Friday I thought I was better.

yellowpostitnote Sun 18-Dec-16 13:18:06

I dismissed this but my DH pointed out we'd been around a child who was diagnosed with impetigo the next day. Are they different strains or a potential cause?

Sycamoretrees Sun 18-Dec-16 14:23:28

Sounds very similar, I've had 10 days of antibiotics and some prescription painkillers. Get your self to the GP to get checked if nothing else. I also found hot steamy showers helped a lot. Hope you're feeling better soon.

VilootShesCute Sun 18-Dec-16 14:31:32

I know it's rank stuff but try gargling with raw cider vinegar. I'd go see gp though as tonsilitis always takes ages to clear in me and you'll want to be okay for next weekend!

yellowpostitnote Sun 18-Dec-16 14:31:47

Sorry to hear that sycamore. I'll see how I am tomorrow morning. Get well soon flowers

yellowpostitnote Sun 18-Dec-16 14:56:54

Thanks viloot. If it continues I'll send DH for supplies!

Pooka Sun 18-Dec-16 16:52:21

Gargling with paracetamol can be good for the pain, and particularly good to have soluble paracetamol so you keep fluids up too.

Falalalafffffffttt Sun 18-Dec-16 17:00:14

Gargling with cider vinegar, take some garlic and propolis (get at holland & Barrett). I had tonsillitis years ago and it kept coming back after antibiotics. Defo do some complementary medicine whether they're prescribed or not. I hope you feel better soon.

yellowpostitnote Sun 18-Dec-16 17:29:24

Thanks. I have propolis actually and amazingly it's still in date!

yellowpostitnote Mon 19-Dec-16 01:58:03

Gah. Just want to moan as cant wake anyone. Soooo painful. Hard to swallow or sleep. Feeling mighty sorry for myself! It's really only one side now, the right has all but settled.

It can just fuck off to the far side of fuck and then fuck off some more.

yellowpostitnote Mon 19-Dec-16 09:53:07

Heavy duty antibiotics in liquid form and if it gets bigger/crosses the midline I have to go back to get it popped.

Difflaming the fuck out if it too.

Thanks for advice; I might have just toughed it out.

Sycamoretrees Mon 19-Dec-16 22:29:23

Sorry to hear that, hang in there. It will get better, hang on to that, I know it's miserable.

yellowpostitnote Tue 20-Dec-16 08:42:40

Not quite so bad this morning thank you. It is quinsy but antibiotics seem to be doing the trick. Starting to be able to swallow my spit again woo hoo! Hope you are feeling better too.

Muppetslikecoco Tue 20-Dec-16 11:51:56

My DS had this once and the first sign was vomiting, the poor boy had got so much pus going into his stomach that it was making him vomit. Tonsillitis is awful, you have my sympathy flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now