Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ear infection in 4yr old dd help!

(15 Posts)
par05 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:34:27

Hi am up with screaming 4yr old dd other children asleep, have given calpol hasn't kicked in yet! How can I help her? Should I take her to a &e ? Tried ringing out of hours and couldn't get through how can I ease her pain

par05 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:37:45

Anyone?

Kiwi32 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:38:44

Try some heat on the ear and keep her upright. I've just had a bad middle ear infection and this was the only thing that helped!

livinglooney8 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:38:56

Ibuprofen is better for ear ache as reduces some swelling. A hot steamy shower can help.
Also do not lie her down, try to let her sleep upright (on you obvs!) . Ear ache is very painful. Poor llittle thing. You may need to see a dr, antibiotics have worked well for us.

Kiwi32 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:40:33

If it's that painful and is middle ear it's possible the ear drum will develop a small hole and you'll notice discharge as it drains (apologies if you know this already!), the pain should then ease. Hope she improves soon it's miserable.

RatOnnaStick Sat 17-Dec-16 22:42:11

Have you any ibuprofen to give? Her ear will be inflamed so its a bit better I think. Otherwise, a hot water bottle or other heat pad/wheat bag wrapped up and placed on the ear can help a bit. Poor thing. Do keep trying 111.

par05 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:42:51

Thank you for reply, unfortunately don't have any ibuprofen in the house .. have just put her upright me now, it's awful seeing her in pain. She has temp too x

Kiwi32 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:46:51

Do try the heat as well if you're able it's very soothing.

MrsWildermac Sat 17-Dec-16 22:48:57

I found DD only settled when lying with her ear on my tummy - the warmth and uprightness seemed to help. It suddenly popped and then she slept the rest of the ngght. Hope she gets some relief soon!

par05 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:51:35

I think the calpol has finally kicked in! She's lying on my tummy upright think that's helped too, and is sleeping hopefully she will sleep now x

RatOnnaStick Sat 17-Dec-16 22:54:36

Brilliant. You can't move now you know that don't you? I would keep trying 111 for some advice and/or a prescription and be prepared to take her to OOH to be seen in the morning.

par05 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:57:14

Lol won't move, thank you all for replying so quick! Yep will definitely take her to out of hours in the morning. X

mumofthemonsters808 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:57:30

When my Dd was little I had many a night up with her crying with ear ache, it was always in the middle of the night, when there was nothing whatsoever I could, I used to stuff her ear with Cotten wool and put her a hat on and a hot water bottle.It would get her through the night until we got to the Doctors who prescribed Amoxicillin.

Strangely enough, in the middle of the night, 10 years later, I did exactly the same thing, just yesterday, but instead of the Doctors, in the morning I went to the Pharmacy and got some ear drops, that are just oil to break down the wax.

I feel for you op, it's not something I'm prone to, but it's awful seeing them in such unbearable pain, which I understand is agony.

RatOnnaStick Sun 18-Dec-16 08:23:22

Any improvement this morning?

par05 Sun 18-Dec-16 18:42:02

Hi took her to oh of hours, finally got through appreciate busy time of year for them! Doctor was fab, she's got a perforated ear drum, so antibiotics and ear drops! Still hurting her though and went and got nurofen too! Hopefully better night tonight! Thanks for all your replys xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now