Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it possible to have a toe which keeps randomly dislocating and then popping back into place?

(9 Posts)
PossumInAPearTree Fri 16-Dec-16 17:54:53

Because dd reckons one of hers does. Happens a few times a year. I'm not allowed to touch the toe so no idea what it feels like but she sobs in pain for five mins and then seems ok. I don't reckon it's possible and think it's more likely to be a muscle cramp? Dd swears she can feel the none of one toe pushing against the other and it's out of place. She wants me to take her to a doctor about it but I don't think she needs to go. She doesn't want to go to the dr now, but just a routine appt to discuss her weird toe!

grafia123 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:44:49

I self referred my ds to podiatry to get his toes checked. He has one that is in a strange position when he walks.

The appointment was useful. He needs to do exercises and wear special insoles

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 17-Dec-16 19:49:25

dd used to. I'd forgotten about that. I just asked her about it and it still does apparently.

PossumInAPearTree Sat 17-Dec-16 20:23:57

Hmmm, maybe I did ought to take her. I could go and see a private podiatrist I guess rather than clog the NHS up with something trivial.

It happened again yesterday after I posted and this time she was sockless and one of her toes was pointed diagonally upwards. She swears she wasn't pointing it. Did look odd. She said she could feel a lump in the side.

Which makes it sound a bit like the calf cramps I get at night, I can feel a massive lump/knot of muscle. So if she's getting a bad cramp it might pull the toe round. I've instructed her to eat more bananas to improve her potassium levels so will see how it goes.

ivykaty44 Sat 17-Dec-16 20:27:21

It could be cramp, I sometimes get cramp in my middle or second toe and it points and goes ridged. It's more painful than any other cramp I get.

PossumInAPearTree Sat 17-Dec-16 20:44:49

Thanks ivykaty that's my gut feeling.

I know the calf cramps I get are unbelievably painful. I wake up screaming sometimes.

grafia123 Sun 18-Dec-16 14:32:28

If you decided to see a podiatrist a private one would probably my be better. I thought my ds' toe problem would be trivial but it does seem that he needs to do exercises to correct it. I got a second opinion from a private podiatrist and did find them much better than the Nhs one.

ivykaty44 Sun 18-Dec-16 17:42:03

I very much doubt you would get to see a podiatrist on the NHS without a referral from your GP. A private appointment would cost somewhere from around £40 upwards at least.

If it is cramp in her toe

Pull the tie, really let her pull the tie as this helps

The real solution is awful, a tiny teaspoon of vinegar will instantly get rid of the cramp. I dispose the cramp more than the vinegar and will then drink water - if it is cramp it works in an instant.

It's up to you...!

ivykaty44 Sun 18-Dec-16 17:42:30

Toe not tie, sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now