Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Private versus NHS dental treatment?

(20 Posts)
Nickname1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:44:46

I've just got back from a private dental appointment. I went because of mega tooth / gum ache. And the news was soooo bad! Mega periodontal disease. Grade 4. Bone loss. I need a tooth extracted and lots of deep cleaning.

It's going to cost a fortune. Like, £1400.

And I can't have the first extraction and treatment until next week and my gum is throbbing in the meantime.

My question is: is it better to do this treatment privately? Should I try and get it through the NHS?

I don't feel like i can wait too long to get it done though,that's my hesitation with the NHS.

Oh, I also have a tiny baby (who I'm breastfeeding) and two younger kids and zero time... sad

SloanePeterson Fri 16-Dec-16 16:47:17

With a tiny baby you'd be entitled to free care on the NHS. But the fact you're registered with a private dentist will count against you. There are NO NHS dentists here and dh and I had no choice but to go private. The waiting lists are huge and they'll know if you're already registered somewhere I think.

SloanePeterson Fri 16-Dec-16 16:48:31

Having said that, I have a stupidly tiny mouth and had to go to hospital to have my wisdom teeth removed under a general. My private dentist referred me and that was done in the NHS, so it may be possible for them to refer you to the local hospital?

HeyMacWey Fri 16-Dec-16 16:48:49

Don't think you can get deep cleaning on the NHS.
Tooth extraction I would do on NHS.
I had to have some deep cleaning and think it cost about £350 with the periodontist. That was for two appointments (one for each side of the mouth and a follow up appointment) The hygienist could have done it for about £120.

Nickname1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:49:37

Oh crikey, sloane. I did know I was entitled to free treatment but couldn't get an appointment this side of Christmas, which is why I booked a private one (I thought I needed a route canal... turns out it was very advanced gum disease confused).

Ugh so I could have saved a fortune but maybe now it's too late?!...

Are private treatments any "better"?

HeyMacWey Fri 16-Dec-16 16:50:14

Shop around too for private - nothing to stop you from phoning a few for a quote.

SloanePeterson Fri 16-Dec-16 16:51:30

Here's absolutely no difference in treatments imo. My dentist does private and NHS. You have my sympathies, I had a tooth extraction last New Year's Eve and it was miserable, there's nothing like bad teeth x

Nickname1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:51:33

I just randomly picked this dentist on availability, heymac, and did wonder if I should shop around a bit as it sounds like I'll be committing to their care for the long term!

Nickname1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:52:21

Did it hurt at the time or after, sloane?! I had a c-section just six weeks ago so thought I was done with this year's physical pain! 😫😫

SloanePeterson Fri 16-Dec-16 16:57:50

The pain beforehand was horrendous. I had to wait at least a week as id been given antibiotics at the first appointment (2 days before Christmas!) before it became apparent it needed removing. They did me a huuuuge favour by fitting me in last minute as I was in unbearable pain. The relief was instant. Tbh I seem to deal pretty well with extractions even though my roots are enormous. Washing out with salt water provides lots of relief. The best pills I found for the pain were Boots own ibuprofen and codine pill. Not sure how that would work with breastfeeding but tbh having taken antidepressants when pg and bf I'd be ok with taking these in severe pain. That's just my opinion though x

GlitterGlue Fri 16-Dec-16 17:00:32

I would also call the NHS dentist and see what treatment would involve. They might refer to the dental hospital if it's beyond what they can treat?

Nickname1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:04:09

So good to hear that the pain ended after, sloane! Good tips on those painkillers. Do you mind me asking why you had to have the extraction?

Nickname1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:06:25

glitter - I hadn't even heard of dental hospitals before blush I am going to ring my local one now. Just want to make sure the best people sort out my gums. They - aesthetically - look fine so I'm kind of in shock that they're so bad. They're as bad as it gets, apparently shock.

Was impressed by the dentist I saw though. Just worried about the cost / wanting to go to the right person.

SloanePeterson Fri 16-Dec-16 17:09:38

A combination of reasons. As I said before, my jaw is very small (like, medical marvel grade small grin) and it's really difficult for me to brush the teeth at the back. The tooth started to erode at the gumline and just crumble from the base up. I also think the fact I suffered with an eating disorder for a decade must have contributed. The extraction took a little while as one of the roots snapped off inside (horror) but it was ok. The same tooth on the other side has a large root filling and is holding up just about ok but I imagine I'll lose that in the future too. The amount you've been quoted sounds extortionate. I think my extraction was about £60, including X-rays. My dh had his front tooth knocked out in an accident and had a bridge built and extensive dental work done for less than that!

HeyMacWey Fri 16-Dec-16 17:10:17

Did they say what measurement the pockets were at?

Nickname1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:29:19

They didn't hey, but on a scale of 1-4 of periodontal disease I get 4!

He did say he'd measure the pockets after the intensive cleaning.

reallyanotherone Fri 16-Dec-16 17:32:55

Are you anywhere near a dental school?

Many will give you free treatment if you let the dental students have a go. They're all supervised, but may be a bit inexperienced.

MackerelOfFact Fri 16-Dec-16 17:42:32

The main differences between private and NHS dentistry (DP is a dentist who does both) are:

- Appointment times and lengths. Weekend and evening appointments are usually offered to private patients first (as they are less likely to skip the appointment as they will be charged, which can't happen on NHS). There will be lots of time to ask questions or chat about options or for reassurance if needed.

- Treatment options. On the NHS you will mostly be offered one option. Privately, you can usually choose from a number of options (one of which may by the NHS option and one of which may be to do nothing).

- Materials, equipment and laboratories used. If you're having some kind of restorative work, you will be offered the more advanced and expensive materials, and any crowns, dentures, etc will be made by better technicians in a more expensive laboratory.

- Aesthetic result. On the NHS, cosmetic considerations aren't important, the emphasis is on making your teeth usable and pain-free. Privately, you can request more specific aesthetic requirements.

- Payment options. You are more likely to be offered finance for private treatment, due to the higher cost.

That's it though really. The diagnosis, treatment, care and advice etc will be exactly the same!

Nickname1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 18:01:54

Thank you, mackerel! That's super informative. I guess this treatment isn't really something that would be aesthetic, maybe NHS would be better?

But I'm kind of desperate for stage 1 so the pain can stop (tooth extraction). Can I swap halfway through treatment do you think? Or would it be better to keep the same dentist?

hopeandhello Mon 30-Oct-17 09:45:23

hi, i have periodontitis. been feeling so low and frightened, my first appointment to have pockets measured next week. any advice would be a comfort

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now