Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sensitivity to cold in root filled tooth

(11 Posts)
Bluebell66 Fri 16-Dec-16 05:57:52

I had a root canal in a tooth six years ago. Over the last few months it has become extremely sensitive to cold. All my food has to be at room temperature, I can't tolerate anything out of the fridge. I spoke to my dentist about it on Monday when I was there for a check up.

He said it wouldn't be that tooth as there is no nerve there now, therefore I wouldn't feel anything in that tooth.

I am convinced it is that tooth.

Does anyone have any experience of this please?

TIA

Out2pasture Fri 16-Dec-16 06:10:01

Most likely a different tooth.
Sadly it will crack and break off and become obvious at the most impractical time....Christmas or New Year's Eve sad

Bluebell66 Fri 16-Dec-16 06:33:59

Thank you Out - do you mean the root filled tooth will crack and break off?

I'm worried sick about it as I have a real fear of the dentist, I am literally terrified.

pklme Fri 16-Dec-16 07:06:07

I don't think they can guarantee getting all the root... I have discomfort in mine, still.

SloanePeterson Fri 16-Dec-16 07:10:01

I had this a few weeks ago and was similarly worried, having spent last New Year's Eve at the dentist having a tooth extracted for unbearable pain after a failed root filling. My other filling has only been about 18 months and was previously absolutely fine. My dentist said this happens to a lot of people when the weather turns cold!? But he did cover the tooth in fluoride paste which seemed to work wonders as it's no longer sensitive to the cold.

Bluebell66 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:32:39

Pklme - how long ago did you have the root filling done? Is it sensitive to cold?

Sloane - my dentist gave me some fluoride toothpaste on prescription to use on the tooth next to the root filled tooth - he was convinced the problem was with this tooth rather than the root filled one. I've been checking it though and I'm sure it's the root filled tooth.

tobee Fri 16-Dec-16 19:13:34

I had this for ages with root canal tooth. Dentist likewise said can't be because there's no nerve and that it might be psychological. But I successfully used sensodyne (or non brand equivalent) just on that tooth. Might be worth a try?

ggirl Fri 16-Dec-16 19:17:51

I had this on root filled tooth , turned out to be infection in it and the tooth next to it. Had to have root canal treatment again on one and root canal treatment on the one next to it.....expensive !!!

ggirl Fri 16-Dec-16 19:19:33

mine started off with sensitivity to temperature then gradually got worse , swelling int the gum and lots of pain

hopefully yours will resolve in time ,they did leave me for a while to see if this would happen but unfortunately it didn't

pklme Fri 16-Dec-16 19:23:17

Probably three years. I had a deep filling in tooth 1. Then a root canal in tooth 2 which with hindsight may have been in the wrong tooth. Still had trouble. Tooth 2 was taken out. Tooth one is still tender when I prod it. It is grey and supposed to be dead.

Bluebell66 Fri 16-Dec-16 19:45:30

Thank you everyone. The tooth I had root filled is grey, I keep expecting it to just crumble away at any moment!

I'm not sure now if it is the root filled tooth, I think it could be the one behind it 😐 I was putting the fluoride toothpaste on earlier and it seemed that this was the most painful. I'm even more confused now!

It would be a lot easier if I didn't have such a massive fear of the dentist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now