Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Seizure while having coil fitted

(8 Posts)
Liv23 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:28:23

Soo.. I had a could fitted yesterday. Everything seemed ok until about 5 minutes after. I started to feel extremely sick and unwell. Then all I remember is waking up with a medical team around me and I was attached to loads of wires. I was then told that I had a seizure that lasted around 10 minutes. I had to stay at the hospital for 1 hour before I got sent home. Nothing else was said about it. Just wondering if anyone else had an experience like this? Never been so scared. I'm also still in a lot of pain.

Gatekeeper Thu 15-Dec-16 20:39:27

Did they say it was def a seizure? Sounds more like cervical shock or vasovagel response

Hedgehog80 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:41:06

I've had cervical shock. It's v nasty and you'll feel wiped out for a day or two
For any subsequent procedures I've had sedation. Maybe this is an option for having a coil fitted/removed as well ?

popperdoodles Thu 15-Dec-16 20:48:41

I have had similar experience. I have my coil changed under ga because of it. In my case it wasn't a seizure but a bit of a dramatic vasovagal response. Apparently I wad quite jerky so possibly could be mistaken for a seizure. Smear tests are ok because the nurse knows to be extra gentle and careful.
Consultant at local gyne department tried to tell me I was being daft and didn't need the ga. I didn't really want one either so let him try and exactly the same thing happened again.

Liv23 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:53:53

Yes they confirmed it was a seizure as it happened before, but that was when I was younger and they thought I'd "grown out of it". Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who has had a bad experience

Isadora2007 Fri 16-Dec-16 00:21:48

Unless they had time to wire you up to an eeg monitor I doubt they actually can say for definite it was a seizure.
Definitely sounds like a vasovagal incident or cervical shock as PPs suggest.
My sister and mum and maternal grandad all have a vasovagal thing and my sister in particular faints very easily and vomits or seizes during her faints... often wetting herself etc.

Hopefully you feel lots better now and it's unlikely to occur again. Apart from if having waters broken or another coil fitted! Although coil removal didn't have any effect on me...

Isadora2007 Fri 16-Dec-16 00:22:27

Out of interest when did your previous "seizure" occur? Under what circumstances?

Liv23 Fri 16-Dec-16 06:21:39

Once in a cinema and the rest of the times I was just playing at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now