Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cold Defence nasal spay?

(8 Posts)
FarAwayHills Thu 15-Dec-16 17:17:53

I am surrounded by coughs and colds both at home and at work. I'm doing my best to avoid catching something before Christmas and a friend recommended First Defence spray to prevent the onset of a cold. The reviews on Amazon range from amazing to saying that the side effects are awful which is making be wary. Does anyone have any experience of using this?

PoptartPoptart Thu 15-Dec-16 21:11:04

Personally I wouldn't use it - have a search for the thread here in General Health called 'FLU or SEVERE COLD with bizarre pattern of symptoms VICKS anti viral to blame?'
I posted my personal experience using it on that thread and a few others agreed. It's awful stuff IMO

hanban89 Thu 15-Dec-16 21:57:16

I've used this several times. It stings quite a lot and makes my eyes water. I also still end up getting the cold, and seem to get it worse using it!
I have now started taking a zinc supplement, and echinacea drops when someone in the house has a cold or I start feeling a cold coming on, and I find it VERY effective. The drops I got from a health food shop, and they were expensive maybe £20 but they last forever. I've had mine a year though and still half a bottle.

Delatron Thu 15-Dec-16 21:59:28

That's interesting. Found the thread and I think the same thing happens to me. I use the spray if I want to delay the cold but I eventually succumb and half the time I wish I'd just got the cold out of the way straight away rather than prolong the whole thing. At the moment I'm having good results from zinc/vitamin c lozenges, sambucol and echinacea and lots of vitamin d

Oldieandgoldie Thu 15-Dec-16 21:59:59

I had 'symptoms', very runny nose, streaming eyes etc etc, and an important meeting. I used First Defence for the first time - cured!! Excellent stuff. It might not be suitable for everyone but it worked for me when I needed it to.

NicknameUsed Thu 15-Dec-16 22:01:43

I have tried it and had no problems with it. I can't be sure that it helped prevent a cold, because I am not susceptible to them anyway.

handsfree Thu 15-Dec-16 22:06:27

My mum recommended this to me a couple of years ago. Until I opened this thread I'd never heard of any side effects and certainly never experienced any. Whilst obviously it doesn't stop you ever getting a cold, without a doubt I've had way less than I used to and the ones I have had have been shorter and less painful!
I use the boots own brand one and recommend it to everyone I know!

ootsideinbacktaefront Thu 15-Dec-16 22:10:50

My doctor friend says you would be aswell squirting water up your nose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now