Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis

(12 Posts)
ktjb39 Thu 15-Dec-16 07:49:59

Just having a moan - this is the second bout of tonsillitis I've had in the last few weeks and I feel dreadful. Tried to have a shower and passed out. Just to make it worse it's my last day at work today and won't be able to go to my own leaving meal this evening sob sob sob sad

Ankleswingers Thu 15-Dec-16 21:13:12

Oh that sounds awful, you poor thing. flowers

Tonsillitis is hideous- you have my sympathies.

Are there white spots on your tonsils? If so it could be bacterial tonsillitis and you'll need antibiotics.

Hope that you feel better soon flowers

ktjb39 Thu 15-Dec-16 22:36:14

Yes disgusting white spots I've got antibiotics thank goodness. Feeling sorry for myself!

Badhairday1001 Thu 15-Dec-16 22:39:07

Tonsillitis is awful, you have every right to feel sorry for yourself. It's so painful and makes you feel so ill and sad. Get well soon Xxx

elephantoverthehill Thu 15-Dec-16 22:45:13

I will probably be flamed for suggesting this. I am really old but the best medical advice I was given for the pain of tonsillitis was to suck an aspirin. In the end I had to have them taken out as a teenager. I really do sympathise.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 16-Dec-16 18:39:55

You truly have my sympathies. Tonsillitis is evil.
You could try soothing your great with ice lollies or warm drinks (I often alternate them). Soluble paracetamol or aspirin to gargle then swallow may help a bit.
Difflam spray can numb the area temporarily.
Strepsils.
Loads of fluids (isn't that what they always recommend anyway for everything?).
I have it currently but am pregnant so limited with my options for relief.
Really hope you get well soon.
If you cannot control your temperature with over the counter medicine and if it is lingering then please see your GP.
Good luck!

ktjb39 Sat 17-Dec-16 07:55:20

Thanks so much for all the sympathy - I thought I was feeling a bit better but I've snored loudly all night and one side is throbbing sad

ktjb39 Sat 17-Dec-16 07:57:12

Blahblah you poor thing having it when you are pregnant I hope your body fights it off quickly.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sat 17-Dec-16 18:23:58

Thank you! I would not wish tonsillitis on anybody. Hope you feel better soon too.

JasperPotato Sat 17-Dec-16 18:25:36

OP, if you get it frequently have you considered having them removed? I did, and haven't looked back.

I hope you feel better soon.

ktjb39 Sat 17-Dec-16 18:31:16

Yes I was all set to have them out a few years back -all agreed and then I became pregnant so it was cancelled. I had a couple of years with just mild bouts but seems to be back with a vengeance. Once I'm better then I think I'll look into having them out - another friend said her general health was greatly improved once she had hers out.

LMonkey Sat 17-Dec-16 20:56:51

You poor poor thing. I truly sympathise. I've been ill now for 6 weeks with chest infection/fluey cold which just won't go away. And tonsillitis is just hideous. I made my work Xmas lunch today but went straight home afterwards. Thinking about cancelling lunch with friend tomorrow who I never get to see. It's just complete s**t isn't it.

I really hope you feel better soon and manage to enjoy Christmas xxflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now