Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Don't open if you hate feet!

(11 Posts)
Bunnyfuller Wed 14-Dec-16 20:06:46

I've had this on my toe for nearly 6 months now. Didn't see it appear as I had a splendid pedi with daisies. Let it grow and noticed the bottom of this thing in August. The only real change is it has got darker, hasn't moved up with nail growth (several nail trims since then).

Anyone know what it is - haven't smacked it/stubbed it

Minikievs Wed 14-Dec-16 20:11:44

Do you run? I had this appear this summer, after running with nail polish on my toenails. Not sure if it's linked but it only started after I painted my nails.

Bunnyfuller Wed 14-Dec-16 20:22:51

Not a runner (I wish!) I actually wore flip flops until the end of Sept because it was so warm!

Bauble16 Wed 14-Dec-16 20:25:02

Is it a damaged nail bed or fungal nail?

Bunnyfuller Wed 14-Dec-16 20:34:36

It doesn't small, hurt or flake, and there's nothing like it anywhere else. Utter mystery. I've got crap eyesight so the pic isn't the best but it's a raggedy outline and has a pinky line extending from it (which has also darkened)

Bingybongybashy Wed 14-Dec-16 22:47:35

I'd go to dr and get it checked out to be sure!

StillMedusa Thu 15-Dec-16 23:38:25

Please get it checked. While very rare, there is a cancer called a subungual melanoma that starts like that.
mddk.com/subungual-melanoma.html
It really is VERY rare, so more likely you bashed your nail and never noticed... but please go and get it checked just in case!

Heratnumber7 Thu 15-Dec-16 23:41:45

I get those now and again. It's bloody. You've probably banged your toe at some point. It will grow out. in the meantime use nail varnish

Patriciathestripper1 Thu 15-Dec-16 23:45:07

Don't want to panic you but looks like a form of cancer. My aunt got something similar on her fingernail. Started near nail bed snd moved up to tip in a Raggy line. Go and get it checked asap!

Bunnyfuller Fri 16-Dec-16 17:34:01

Thanks everyone. I will book up with the GP after Christmas.

TheFirie Sun 18-Dec-16 10:08:46

Don't wait till after Christmas, the picture isn't very clear, but it looks very much like a melanoma of the nail unit. www.dermnetnz.org/topics/melanoma-of-nail-unit

I am with Patricia and Medusa here. Go. To. The. GP. Tomorrow at the latest. Don't wait till after Christmas. Any OOH near you today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now