Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Hiatus Hernia - can anyone reassure me please?

(15 Posts)
EasternDailyStress Wed 14-Dec-16 16:49:01

Going for an endoscopy next week, which is an "urgent" appointment and so is worrying me silly.

My symptoms started with a nasty pain in my upper back, which then spread to my shoulder and neck. After a couple of days I could feel the pain of food passing down my oesophagus. The pain however increased so much in my back/chest (seems to go all the way through) that I can't sleep lying down any more. One day I was in tears with so much pain.

The doctor suspects a hiatus hernia but I can't believe it would hurt this much. Every time I eat now I'm getting pain just to the right of my chest. Sorry this is a bit rambling but just wondered if anyone else has suffered such severe pain with this? Thanks

monkeywithacowface Wed 14-Dec-16 16:53:00

Yes I ended up in a&e and was given morphine the pain was so bad (didn't know it was a hiatus hernia at the time)

The pain started just as you described

EasternDailyStress Wed 14-Dec-16 16:55:18

Thanks Monkey, hope you're feeling much better now

BigBroIsWatching Wed 14-Dec-16 19:32:27

I have a Hiatus Hernia. Had it For over 3 years now. I get good and bad days, all depends upon what I've eaten that causes the acid to rise, therefore causing the horrendous pain. I had an Endoscopy for it as I said food took a while to go down. All was ok. I've learnt my triggers so it isn't half as bad. But yes, it can be painful but ate more due to what I eat etc

monkeywithacowface Wed 14-Dec-16 20:48:26

Yes it's been about six years since my last major flare up and haven't had massive issues with it since. Hope you feel well again soon

EasternDailyStress Wed 14-Dec-16 22:09:01

Thanks both, feel a lot better now smile

rft Wed 21-Dec-16 23:01:52

Hey, I'm in an almost identical situation to you... my endoscopy is on 29th December.

Whenever I eat, I feel as though food gets stuck in my chest. It's horrible. Ran it I dine and lansoprazole haven't really helped sad

Good luck with yours xxx

EasternDailyStress Sat 24-Dec-16 17:04:00

Just to update ... Had my gastroscopy yesterday and they found absolutely nothing wrong! So on one hand that's good, but still don't know what happened. I'm guessing the two weeks of omeprazole have cleared it up.

Rft sorry to hear you're suffering too. I found lansoprazole made me worse, but omeprazole is much better. Might be worth asking your GP?

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sat 24-Dec-16 17:18:29

Have you tried all the usual, not laying totally flat and not laying down for a few hours after eating.

BorisJohnsonsHair Tue 31-Jan-17 22:04:02

Well, despite the endoscopy finding nothing, I'm still in a lot of pain. I had about a week where I felt fine, returned to eating normally, drinking coffee and alcohol etc (over Christmas) and then on 1st Jan it all started up again.

Been put on 40 mg omeprazole per day, but it doesn't seem to be improving. Been back to the GP and he's sending me for an ultrasound and blood tests next week.

It seems to me that I must have either a hiatus hernia or an ulcer, but don't know why they weren't spotted on the endoscopy. Has anyone had experience of this?

Will continue to update this thread, as it may be useful for others in the future (or now even).

sadie9 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:10:15

How long have you been on the omeprazole? It can take 2 weeks on it for symptoms to resolve so keep taking it.
I had gastritis, and am on omeprazole now a couple of years, so all fine now, but they found just some 'inflammation' in the endoscopy but nothing else. I believe the size of the inflammation is not proportional to the pain that can be felt.

BorisJohnsonsHair Wed 01-Feb-17 16:49:37

sadie9 I was on 20mg for 4 weeks, then upped to 40mg for the past 3 weeks, so 7 weeks in total. The GP prescribed the 40 mg for 8 weeks, so I'm guessing it can take that long, but I would have thought there would be some improvement by now.

To be fair, I did have a horrible dry cough which has just about gone, but I'm still getting the back pain. Trying not to think about it too much, as I think stress and worry may play a part.

I hope you're feeling ok - surprised that you still have to be on omep. after 2 years though. Is it a low dose?

PromisesPromises Thu 02-Feb-17 16:29:38

I have been on medication for 15 years Boris!

Atm 20mg esomeprazole, can take up to 40per day if I feel I need it but have to inform the gp if it becomes a regular thing. Was on omperazole for a while but it stopped working and ended up seeing an ENT because I didn't link the constant sore throats and lump feeling as heartburn (usually present as reflux burning in my throat). Quick change of meds and double dose for a month and it's fine again.

BorisJohnsonsHair Sat 04-Feb-17 19:57:03

Thanks promises. I've decided to drop back down to 20mg as I was getting stomach cramps and not digesting my food properly. 2 days in and already I can feel my sore throat and cough returning though.

Hoping to get a date for an ultrasound scan soon. Blood test next week - to rule out anything else I think. I'm resigned to it being some kind of indigestion issue though as my mother suffers very badly with this.

Glad you had more success with the Nexium - my mum found that it worked better for her too.

PromisesPromises Sat 04-Feb-17 22:53:52

First time I was on omeprazole I had stomach cramps too Boris, originally why they changed me to Nexium. Was on it for years until after pregnancy they decided to try me on omeprazole again (cost cutting I believe as it's cheaper). Nexium seems to work much better for me. Have they tested you for Helicobacter Pylori or is that what the blood test is for? Hope you get your scan soon and find it's something easily treatable, stomach/reflux issues are awful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: