Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

OK, those of you who have had this horrible chesty cough/cold thing that's going round......

(89 Posts)
danceswithnewboots Sun 18-Feb-07 10:41:57

....are you feeling better yet? I'm not I saw the doctor on monday who said my chest was clear, it was just viral..blah, blah, blah but I'm still coughing loads and my ears are blocked all the time. Moan, moan whinge. The pharmacist told me to only take day nurse for a week (marvellous stuff) so i've had to stop that now too. How do I get rid of this damn thing?

colditz Sun 18-Feb-07 10:53:33

Oh, you poor thing, I am just getting over it now and feel like I have had it forever

But I got the same treatment "viral, blahblah fluids blah blah paracetamol blah rest"

And they were right, but my brain was screaming "What? I want a drip, I want morphine and I want a nurse to come to my house and a nanny and a cleaner!"

Aloha Sun 18-Feb-07 10:55:52

It is hideous, isn't it? I'm coughing away in a most revolting manner. Keep having relapses and find climbing the stairs a challenge.

moondog Sun 18-Feb-07 10:56:43

lol colditz

I have been rough for four weeks now.
Never went to the GP though.
No point.

tissy Sun 18-Feb-07 10:58:17

me too, three weeks and counting...

danceswithnewboots Sun 18-Feb-07 10:58:43

Heh heh, nurse and nanny, wouldn't that be lovely
What is really annoying me is one day I feel better and think 'yay, it's going' then the next day I feel cruddy again.
Anyone found any home remedies that help?'
Thanks for the sympathies btw

Tamum Sun 18-Feb-07 10:59:26

Oh god, me too. I am alternately raging hot or freezing cold, coughing constantly and the children are bored witless being stuck indoors with me. Dh is away and I am feeling very sorry for myself.

danceswithnewboots Sun 18-Feb-07 11:01:01

You're right Moondog gp was a waste of time, just wanted to check it wasn't a chest infection. Almost disappointed when she said no as at least I could have blasted it with anti-biotics then! I hate taking them though as they give me a really bad stomach. Grrrr..

colditz Sun 18-Feb-07 11:01:52

Lots and lots of steam really eased my cough

Freckle Sun 18-Feb-07 11:11:45

I've got this for the second time. I had it really badly in the run-up to Christmas - fortunately clear over the festive season. DS3 had two weeks off school with it just before half-term. DS2 got it then, but rather mildly and then I came down with it again on Thursday. Personally, I blame 5 13 yo boys keeping me awake all night the night before when DS1 had a sleepover for his birthday. Must have buggered up my immune system.

Just sent DH out for some Meltus (recommended by my sister who had this a week or so ago) and some Night Nurse - which I shall probably take during the day (oooh radical).

danceswithnewboots Sun 18-Feb-07 11:14:04

God bless night nurse. I can't believe I'm 31yrs old and I've ONLY just discovered it!

Bubbaloo Sun 18-Feb-07 11:58:17

I've had it for nearly 2 weeks now and it's driving me mad.Finally found a pharmacist though who would give me something and have been taking Robittusin(sp) for chesty coughs for the last few days which seems to be helping a tiny bit,although I still sound like I'm on 60 fags a day.

foxinsocks Sun 18-Feb-07 17:18:31

I had it for 7 days - then coughed for another week. Kids are still coughing now (so that's around 3 weeks for them I reckon).

Best of all, it ended with really nasty tummy craps/nausea (wasn't sure if this was part of the bug or just because we had so much mucous in our systems). Luvvvvvverly!

foxinsocks Sun 18-Feb-07 17:21:00

yes, we didn't bother with the GP either. Thought it was viral and given that they normally send the kids (or me/dh) away even if we look half dead, I thought it wasn't worth the effort .

Must admit, if you are in the stage where you are coughing loads of phlegm up, that signified the beginning of the end so maybe you're nearly there!

hope you feel better soon

Catbabymummy Sun 18-Feb-07 17:26:28

Had it for just over a week, horrible tickly hacking cough and buckets o' phlegm every morning...

wrinklytum Sun 18-Feb-07 19:06:12

Two weeks so far,coinciding with ear infection and really crappy af after stopping bf after 13 months.Feeling really sorry for myself......

roisin Sun 18-Feb-07 19:19:42

I've had it for a week too. I took two days off work when I felt grim, but then felt I had to go back. I wasn't in control of my voice - which is tricky when you've got the yr9 class from hell p5 on a Thursday, and you go to raise your voice and just squeak at them ... it doesn't have the same effect really? But I did discover whispering menacingly has interesting results!

Fortunately I'm now off for a week, so I hope I'll get it well and truly shifted before I go back.

I haven't been to the GP: I never do unless I really believe I'm dying, and even then I can usually persuade myself there's no point if I'm dying! (The consequences of having medics in the family and living with medics at uni!)

StrawberrySnowflakes Sun 18-Feb-07 19:26:47

i was deliberating going to gp tomorrow as i have it. dizzy, hot then cold, hackling cough..feel like shoite..dp had it(still ahs cough) last week and dd seems to be coming down with it too

StrawberrySnowflakes Sun 18-Feb-07 19:27:10

yeah, my voice...totally gone..nothing!

serenity Sun 18-Feb-07 19:30:25

I've had it for 2 weeks now, and was finally thinking it was going, when I started leaking bright yellow liquid from my nose this morning.

I think my brain has melted.

I give up.

Hulababy Sun 18-Feb-07 19:34:55

I started with this last Monday night. The cold part has passed in the main now (I think, I hope), but left with a horrid cough that is making my chest hurt so much. Have headaches all the time too. And under my nose is now red and sore too.

Pruni Sun 18-Feb-07 19:37:37

Message withdrawn

thelittleElf Sun 18-Feb-07 19:41:09

Jeez...i've had it for a week now. Had a sore throat, then nearly no voice , then streaming cold and hacking cough.....and all in my week off work aswell typical!
I woke up twice last night and had the most awful coughing fits...i thought i was gonna pee my pants

NorksBrideOHara Sun 18-Feb-07 19:46:20

I've the sort of wracking chesty cough that really tests your pelvic floor.

And mine failed

Hulababy Sun 18-Feb-07 19:47:34

Oh yes, had that coughing moment where you are hoping desperately the old pelvic floor hold up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now