Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear, Cysts, Colposcopy!

(15 Posts)
nightingalesings Tue 13-Dec-16 20:15:38

Hi, I had a smear last week (regular, 3 yearly one) and the Nurse said I bled a little and I had 'lump' on my cervix that she thought looked like a cyst but was larger than usual so she wanted to refer to colposcopy on a routine appointment. Now, the sensible part of my brain reminds me that she thinks its a cyst (so, no big deal) BUT the neurotic part of my brain keep going 'well, if she thought it was a cyst why is she referring at all'?! And: 'what if it's not a cyst' etc etc. Any experiences, thoughts, distractions?...

lorelairoryemily Tue 13-Dec-16 20:45:45

Oh I can help you there op. I've been referred for colposcopy after every smear I've had, I was told I had a cyst on my cervix (12-4 on the clock in size) every time it came back clear and they drained the cyst once, it was quite stingy and all that was in it was blood, nothing at all to worry about. I was so freaked because the nurse who did the smear left me on the table saying "oh I've never seen that before" and went off to get a doctor, that was my very first smear so not what I wanted to hear!! Anyway I e had it checked multiple times, repeat smears, biopsy, the works and always well every time, please try not to worry too much, I'm sure you'll be the same!!

lorelairoryemily Tue 13-Dec-16 20:47:02

It's more than likely a blood filled cyst, nothing to worry about and nothing sinister at all.

Worried1111 Tue 13-Dec-16 21:07:29

I've got a similar situation and have a colposcopy app tomorrow. Am very worried too. I was also left on table while one doctor went to get a doctor and have a look.

lorelairoryemily Tue 13-Dec-16 23:10:09

Worried
Fingers crossed for you that All is well, I know the feeling it's horrible, thinking of you

tribpot Tue 13-Dec-16 23:13:25

I think if she were concerned you wouldn't be referred on a routine appointment but an urgent one. So I think she is just being thorough. Understandable why you and Worried1111 are anxious though - fingers crossed for both of you.

kitkat321 Tue 13-Dec-16 23:18:41

I had several borderline smears resulting in a colposcopy while about 13 weeks pregnant then another 12 weeks after giving birth which resulting in some lasering of cells.

Honestly, it was all fine. I was advised that it was primarily as a precaution and I am supposed to have regular smears for a while (note to self - check last time I had a smear as it's been a while).

Colposcopys aren't too unpleasant - I found it a bit like a longer smear test - the lovely male doctor did ask if I wanted to watch the screen while he had a camera up my hoo ha but I declined - I also think the fact that I'd recently given birth put it all into context.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll be fine smile

nightingalesings Wed 14-Dec-16 07:59:51

Thanks ladies, I guess I'm just going to have to try not to think about it too much. She said she thought it was a cyst, so it's probably a cyst. It was just very confusing, to be told it's probably just a cyst and fine but then be referred anyway. I should have asked how big it was actually because she said 'larger than usual' but that could just be her experience? Gah...

nightingalesings Wed 14-Dec-16 08:08:04

Worried1111 - I hope your appointment goes well today.

Worried1111 Wed 14-Dec-16 12:39:41

Thanks ladies. All was fine. Tiny tiny bit of bleeding which was cauterised but nothing dodgy. Next appointment will be back to a normal smear.
Hope yours goes ok Nightingale. x

nightingalesings Wed 14-Dec-16 13:41:42

That's great news Worried! If you don't mind me asking, were you referred as a result of a smear result? I can't find any information from the NHS websites about reason for colposcopy referral other than dodgy smear result or 'looks like cancer' - which isn't that helpful! smile

Worried1111 Wed 14-Dec-16 16:41:12

I had had a 'minor changes' smear result a few months ago but I am currently pregnant and had some spotting. I went to maternity assessment and had an internal exam and they said they could see 'abnormalities' on my cervix so referred me for a colposcopy.

Worried1111 Wed 14-Dec-16 16:42:40

I think anything that requires a closer look will result in a colposcopy app, but obv it's mostly smears as you'd have to be in a position where you were looking in the first place!

nightingalesings Wed 14-Dec-16 18:08:10

Thanks Worried. Good luck with your pregnancy

nightingalesings Mon 09-Jan-17 17:40:01

Hi again, so some more news - my smear test came back HPV- (so they haven't tested for abnormal cells - new screening method). AND I had some very, light spotting after sex last week but also with some stinging on peeing so possibly a small tear? Some good news and some bad!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now