Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do we need holiday jabs?

(15 Posts)
mellongoose Tue 13-Dec-16 12:59:33

We are going to morocco in Jan. Me, DH and DD (2) are going and we will be in a resort near the coast. I contacted our surgery but they never rang back so need to try again.

But in the meantime, do you guys know? Thanks x

Wolfiefan Tue 13-Dec-16 13:05:16

How soon in Jan? I would contact GP again urgently. If you do need jabs etc they may need to be done some time before you fly.

mellongoose Tue 13-Dec-16 13:15:03

Mid Jan. I called into the surgery about 3 weeks ago and they said they would ring. I clean forgot to follow up.

dementedpixie Tue 13-Dec-16 19:22:29

www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/morocco.aspx I would go for the Hep A, Typhoid and make sure tetanus is up to date

dementedpixie Tue 13-Dec-16 19:23:29

The holiday jabs are normally sorted out by the practice nurse

snowgirl1 Tue 13-Dec-16 19:26:00

Agree with demented - ask for an appointment with the practice nurse.

Musicaltheatremum Tue 13-Dec-16 20:06:21

Or go to a travel clinic and leave the surgery to deal with ill people. I know that sounds harsh but general practice is bursting at the seams.

dementedpixie Tue 13-Dec-16 20:09:23

Our surgery tells you to use the practice nurse for travel vaccinations. Are there many travel clinics about then???

mellongoose Wed 14-Dec-16 01:18:46

Certainly no travel clinics in these parts. Practice nurse didn't ring back again yesterday (fully appreciate they are busy) so will just make app. Can we make a family app and do it all at the same time? Would save them time.

SeriousSteve Wed 14-Dec-16 02:36:16

Have been to Tunisia many times, not Morocco, but highly recommend having the jabs.

GirlsonFilm Wed 14-Dec-16 02:39:56

At our local Surgery they will only give jabs is you're travelling 4+weeks ahead or you have to go to the private trave clinic 40 miles away. Make an appointment as soon as possible.

GirlsonFilm Wed 14-Dec-16 02:41:21

Oh and practice nurse will only do travel jabs on one afternoon a week.

dementedpixie Wed 14-Dec-16 07:39:58

Me and the two kids went at one appointment for ours and dh had a separate one. We phoned and gave the info about where we were going first and some of our injections had to be picked up from the chemist just before our appointment.

At my sisters surgery there is a firm to fill in so the nurse can assess which vaccines are required. Your surgery sounds a bit crap if they never get back to you

dementedpixie Wed 14-Dec-16 07:42:25

A form*

mellongoose Thu 15-Dec-16 22:58:51

All sorted. Family appointment made with the practice nurse for next week. Thanks for your help x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now