Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else have gallbladder as constant discomfort rather that intermittent sharp pain

(22 Posts)
dahliaaa Sat 10-Dec-16 15:42:59

Had this for approx a month - every day and constant for two weeks.
Feels very unpleasant. Like something pushing under ribs on right side. Sense of fullness. Aching pain rather than sharp or severe. Metallic taste in mouth. Some nausea etc. can't sleep on right side.

It coincided with starting ramipril blood pressure medication but doubt it's anything to do with that as it's very small dose (2.5mg.)

Wondered if gallbladder but everything seems to suggest that gives very severe pain like childbirth.

Sorry that all my posts recently seem to be about health ! Lovely DH had horrible diagnosis of advanced cancer and I've had a series of niggles since. I'm keen to feel all ok for DC teens and DH. (I'm sure I've also developed a bit of health anxiety after shock diagnosis and a need to be around for our boys - but this discomfort is genuinely there.)

OhFuds Sat 10-Dec-16 15:49:06

Yes me! I didn't have gallstones tho I had a gallbladder full of sludge.

Badders123 Sat 10-Dec-16 16:01:45

Yes
My stone was lodged at the entrance of the gallbladder and the bile duct
It was hideous

mumof3nearly4girls Sat 10-Dec-16 16:08:23

Yes, my pain got that bad after a few weeks of constant disco ft that I ended up being rushed into hospital and having a gallbladder absolutely full of stones removed. I was only 19 and was previously diagnosed with very bad trapped wind shock clearly that wasn't the case!
The relief was instant though, post op pain was nothing compared to the pain I had before.

mumof3nearly4girls Sat 10-Dec-16 16:09:26

Disco ft hmm that was supposed to say discomfort

Chipperton Sat 10-Dec-16 16:15:39

It sounds like it could be gallbladder related to me. I had something similar to this when I was in my early twenties, it was a mild gallbladder infection which cleared up with antibiotics. I did go on to have very severe gallbladder problems later which resulted in multiple hospital admission so it would be a good idea to get to the GP and be clear about the 'right upper quadrant pain' don't let them fob you off with 'wind' or 'IBS' you need an ultrasound and if confirmed you have gallstones you will need an operation.

It's also a good idea to get a blood test, if you are in pain all day every day you may have a gallstone stuck in your common bike duct. This can be very serious so please do get yourself to a doctor as soon as possible!

Chipperton Sat 10-Dec-16 16:17:19

Sorry that should read 'common BILE duct' blush

fuckweasel Sat 10-Dec-16 16:27:13

I ended up in hospital recently with acute cholecystitis from a stuck gallstone. It began as constant discomfort in upper right abdomen. I though it was trapped wind/indigestion but got progressively worse and painkillers didn't help at all. I had no previous gallbladder problems. Will be having surgery to remove gallbladder soon. I would definitely get it checked out as if there is inflammation of the gallbladder it will need treating.

dahliaaa Sat 10-Dec-16 17:20:59

Thanks all - it does sound like it could be gallbladder then.
Wasn't sure because although there is pain and I feel very uncomfortable I'm not doubled over in agony.
Could really do without it at the moment but if still there in couple of days will get an appointment.
Thanks for replies.

fuckweasel Sat 10-Dec-16 17:35:46

I called NHS24 after about 36 hours of discomfort and they sent me to OOH pretty quickly. Gallbladder inflammation diagnosed and oral antibiotics + painkillers prescribed (unfortunately still ended up on IV antibiotics and morphine in hospital though). I would get it seen sooner rather than later. If it is an inflamed gallbladder, you really don't want it to progress further without treatment.

dahliaaa Sat 10-Dec-16 17:45:48

How bad was your pain weasel ?
(Glad you got it sorted)

fuckweasel Sat 10-Dec-16 17:51:47

At the point when I first saw a doctor, just very uncomfortable (I'd gone to work the day before). It got progressively worse over the next couple of days (was prescribed tramadol) and then even worse (ended up in hospital) but at no point was it excruciating, just relentless. Nothing relieved it, no sleeping or sitting position was comfortable and painkillers did very little. I gave my pain score 6/7 out of ten when I was admitted to hospital.

dahliaaa Sat 10-Dec-16 18:15:05

'Very uncomfortable' sounds like mine .
Because I've been so stressed and heartbroken about DH recently I wonder if stress could affect gallbladder.

OhFuds Sat 10-Dec-16 20:59:15

Have you lost weight? That's how my gallbladder started playing up, I wasnt eating properly and when I did everything started off the pain.

When I commented before I hadn't read the full post, I'm sorry to hear about your husband flowers

dahliaaa Sat 10-Dec-16 21:25:27

Thank you ohfuds.
I've probably lost a couple of pounds but nothing significant. (I'm not overweight. Size 10/12.)
I do feel stressed about everything but top of the list (other than looking after DH) is making sure I'm ok for sons because at some stage they are going to lose their wonderful DDad.
I'm aware that it's leading me to catastrophise. So instead of thinking reasonably : ''Might have gallbladder prob. Will get sorted at some point and then be fine '
I'm in full blown 'I can't be ill, I can't spoil the time we've got with DH. What if it's serious. What if something happens to me and boys lose us both' etc etc etc

Still the good thing is it persuaded me to start blood pressure tablets a month ago - 3 years after GP said I should and I never got round to picking up prescription hmm

dahliaaa Sat 10-Dec-16 21:26:58

Sorry ohfuds meant to say - did you have any treatment ?

dahliaaa Thu 22-Dec-16 11:43:56

Had an ultrasound and apparently have 'numerous gallstones measuring 11mm' which apparently quite large.
The bile duct is normal.

Will get a gastro appointment at some point in the New Year.

Does anyone know if these can be dissolved or if gallbladder removal will be necessary.

Thanks

scaryteacher Thu 22-Dec-16 12:06:00

I had an ultrasound which showed zilch (but a fatty liver), and saw a gastroenterologist last week. Have a CT scan booked for next week, as she says that's better than ultrasound for picking things up. Have had this from June, so want it sorted.

dahliaaa Thu 22-Dec-16 13:00:48

Hope you get it sorted soon scary

dahliaaa Thu 22-Dec-16 19:59:18

Bump for eve

Had ultrasound - 'numerous gallstones measuring 11mm' which apparently quite large.
Bile duct is normal.

Will get a gastro appointment at some point in the New Year.

Does anyone know if these can be dissolved or if gallbladder removal will be necessary.

helpimitchy Thu 22-Dec-16 20:11:43

I don't know whether they dissolve them ? laser perhaps. I think removal is the usual thing. Sorry that your husband is so poorly. You have a lot to cope with.

dahliaaa Thu 22-Dec-16 21:06:49

Thanks help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now