Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Healthy Habits - December

(102 Posts)
AliceInHinterland Thu 01-Dec-16 18:54:29

Hi everyone, we are making one change a month here and checking in daily. Some of us are on our third month, my goals are
(1) a walking target - 8k steps
(2) a diet target - 7 fruit and veg a day
(3) !NEW! - 10 mins yoga a day
Regulars please recap your goals, lurkers, now is the perfect time to join us with whatever goal you think will make a difference for you.

AliceInHinterland Thu 01-Dec-16 18:57:13

Today I'm on just over 9k steps, four fruit and veg (with three chopped up ready to graze on until bedtime) and the yoga is still hopefully on the cards.
How are you all doing in this chilly weather??

AliceInHinterland Thu 01-Dec-16 18:57:50

Think I might creep my step target up to 8.5k since 10k is where I want to end up.

AliceInHinterland Thu 01-Dec-16 18:58:08

And I've already hit it today!

toldmywraath Thu 01-Dec-16 19:39:12

Thanks for the new thread. I hit the target in the freezing cold last night (brrr) My targets are:

10,000 steps
5 fruit & veg
5 mins on the exercise bike.

I am on target for the fruit & veg, steps short by 2000, but I went out earlier & nearly slipped it was so icy. I'm not risking it tonight, so I might try wandering around indoors (I don't live in a mansion wink so this is quite difficult)

toldmywraath Thu 01-Dec-16 20:05:18

Thanks for your comments Prosecco & Alice

Hope the hospital visits are not too distressing Alice. flowers

MoreProseccoNow Thu 01-Dec-16 20:52:27

Hello! Somehow on 13K steps today. I think my new phone is a lot more sensitive than my old one; seem to be getting more steps in.

Can't believe it's December!!

AliceInHinterland Thu 01-Dec-16 21:17:29

I know I had to double check the date, especially since I'm totally unprepared for you-know-what!
Are you sticking with a step goal prosecco? Sounds like you nailed it today.
I have done all three, feels great to get the month off to a good start. I really enjoyed the yoga, opened up my hips which I'm led to believe is a bit of a stress reliever.
Thanks told the hospital visits are depressing rather than distressing at the moment which is making me comfort eat. I hope your dear old dad is doing okay too, is he still in?

toldmywraath Thu 01-Dec-16 22:26:29

Yes Alice my dad is still in. They are talking about sending him home next week. Hope this time it's not too soon.

toldmywraath Thu 01-Dec-16 22:28:12

What yoga do you follow - is it online Alice ?

Well done Prosecco- I'm not going to make 10k today- fail on the first day of the month. I really want to pop out for a walk, but it's too icy.

toldmywraath Thu 01-Dec-16 23:14:28

I marched around and met my 10k target indoors. Exercise bike for 5 minutes before hand. My legs are like jelly. So out of condition. shock

toldmywraath Thu 01-Dec-16 23:16:10

If only I wasn't comfort eating I'd be a few pounds lighter.

AliceInHinterland Fri 02-Dec-16 16:48:05

It's a fine line between too long in hospital (makes everyone feel worse) and too soon isn't it.
I do a Shiva Rea audio yoga (a CD) and I also found that quite challenging - which I suppose is a good thing! I do enjoy that tired muscle feeling afterwards.
The only thing helping with comfort eating is stuffing myself with crudités, they do really fill you up and keep me a bit too busy to eat as much junk as I would otherwise.

AliceInHinterland Fri 02-Dec-16 20:42:36

Evening, I've done my 8.5k, 7 fruit and veg and ten minutes of yoga - a two day streak! Yoga was twisting postures today which I love. It was also a beautiful day for walking, with my portable hot water bottle (baby in a sling). How is everyone else?

MoreProseccoNow Fri 02-Dec-16 21:42:13

Evening all, feeling pleased that I'm on 12.5K steps (so easy on days off) & I'll get a chance to walk tomorrow morning whilst DS is at tennis lessons.

Diet-wise - hmmm, weighed myself yesterday & have lost a couple of pounds so am pleased as was feeling so yuk.

I think my goal for this month is not to gain weight, since I'm so heavy already. It's DS's birthday this week & also have a work night out, so it will be a challenge. Maybe I'll do 5:2, eating 500kcals the day after, to mitigate for the excess.

toldmywraath Fri 02-Dec-16 22:02:15

I've met my targets again on steps and bike. Only 4 vegetables though. Ah well. Onwards and upwards.

Well done prosecco and Alice.

AliceInHinterland Sat 03-Dec-16 10:01:37

I think 2/3 is definitely a good day told, and a couple of pounds is great prosecco. Maintaining weight in December would be a big win.

toldmywraath Sat 03-Dec-16 21:01:34

Yay I've hit 3/3 today. My legs were a bit wobbly after the bike. I can't believe that I used to cycle all day long (up until I passed my driving test)

That's old age & inactivity creeping up on me.

AliceInHinterland Sat 03-Dec-16 21:06:23

I think I've mentioned before my mild cycling phobia so I'm impressed that you used to cycle everywhere.
3/3 here too - and definitely only because I'm held accountable here! Well done us.

toldmywraath Sun 04-Dec-16 08:24:28

Yes Alice now you mention it- I've also mentioned it before (memory like a sieve- I've probably said that before as well wink )

I lived in the country side & just liked getting on me bike!

And yes- this thread is making me feel more accountable as well.

How's your portable hot water bottle? (what a lovely description by the way)

MollyHuaCha Sun 04-Dec-16 20:02:23

🙋🏻Hi, may I join please? My aim (sorry, it's quite low!) will be to do some form of stretching exercises daily.

MoreProseccoNow Sun 04-Dec-16 20:50:09

Welcome Molly, the more the merrier!

It's nice to support each other in our healthy habits.

I've managed 13K steps in 3 of the last 4 days; the 4th was 8K so pretty good going. Haven't dared to weigh myself again, it's not going to be a great week as it's DS's birthday. Trying to figure out how I can squeeze in a walk tomorrow at work - my diary is pretty chocca already so I'll see if I can do it.

How's everyone doing?

toldmywraath Sun 04-Dec-16 21:33:14

Hellomolly and welcome.

I'm on target 3 out of 3 today. Long dog walk with my group and dh did a roast dinner with 7 different vegetables, practising for Christmas. I got on the exercise bike for six whole minutes!

Well done on your steps Alice

AliceInHinterland Mon 05-Dec-16 16:55:45

Well done everyone! The portable hot water bottle is teething I think though my experience is that they are teething more often than not.
Yesterday was 2/3 with only 7.7k steps. Not too bad though.
Today is not shaping up so well, but I'm confident it's a blip, just one of those days. I've done the yoga anyway.
Good to have you on board Molly.

toldmywraath Mon 05-Dec-16 22:46:10

13k steps today and 5 minutes on my bike. Not enough vegetables but plenty of chocolate!

I will be improving my diet for certain after December.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now