Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rosacea - will anything dry out the spots?

(13 Posts)
PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 13:48:03

Not sure if this is in the right place, wasn't sure where to post.
I have had rosacea for many years, since my late 20s, am now early 40s. It is partly controlled by the pill, either dianette or yasmin. I have learnt to live with it and am pretty good at camouflaging the redness. I also get the little white and red spots which seem to flare up with no rhyme or reason.
I have an important do coming up and my stupid skin is having a flare up. I will be meeting lots of my DHs colleagues for the first time and don't want to be worrying about my skin.
Any tips for temporarily drying out the spots? Just so I can slap my makeup on the top without it looking really bumpy? Any advice very gratefully received. smile

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 19:27:55

Bump

Middleoftheroad Tue 29-Nov-16 19:29:22

My DJ tried the expensive green cream from Boots - cant remember brand. Didn't work. It was £18.

sksk Tue 29-Nov-16 19:47:38

Was it called Dermalex Middleofthe road? I assume you've been down the azelaic acid route as well as tried antibiotics? I read a thread about some people finding Mirvaso helpful but I font know if it is right in your situation and whether your GO can prescribe it. I hope you find a solution!

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 19:53:58

Thanks for the replies. I can't have the antibiotics as I had a severe reaction in my late teens. My GP is pretty useless, I haven't tried either of the other treatments you mention sksk. I guess they are prescribed? Was hoping to find some miracle over the counter cream <sigh>

sksk Tue 29-Nov-16 20:16:59

I think the internet will have endless solutions. Have you tried Paula's Choice? There are some good tips on her site even if you don't fact trying the products but you can buy trial sizes. (She also has a website called Beautypedia where they review many products. I'd take some of the reviews with a pinch of salt however as she really slates most things)

SiennaNealon Tue 29-Nov-16 20:36:10

My rosacea is under control for the first time in many years. It was horrible, sore whiteheads on my cheeks, chin and around my mouth.

Antibiotics did feck all for me, my friend found combination of doxycycline and azelaic acid (Skinoren) was best for her. Skinoren had a really quick and positive effect for me but it didn't work 100%. I've recently been prescribed Daktacort and it's made all the difference. I use Daktacort twice a day and Skinoren on any minor blemishes that occur. I was also prescribed something called Double Base which is a paraffin based emollient. It should feel super greasy but doesn't. Difference has been life changing. I was looking at pictures today from a few weeks ago and I'm delighted. Ask to be referred to your dermatologist and try different things.

If only I could get rid of the flushing and redness, you'd never know. Good luck.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 20:48:06

Thank you sksk I will have a look.
Sienna my DS has used both daktacort and doublebase for his eczema, I would never have thought of it for my rosacea! Haven't heard of Skinoren. I will do some research. I am not confident that I will get a referral for my rosacea, we had to go private to get DS's eczema sorted and that was severe. Our GP is not great with skin conditions, they don't see it as a priority.
Regarding the redness, I use Estee Lauder doublebase maximum cover camouflage makeup. You only need a little bit and have to blend it well. It does a great job of covering up the redness.

SiennaNealon Tue 29-Nov-16 21:49:02

I was prescribed a sunscreen with a tint in by my dermatologist. I've been back and forth to the doctors for years. Two visits have made an enormous difference. I was at the end of my tether with it all and just went in and asked for a referral. Wish I'd done it years ago, even if I did wait a few weeks for my first appointment.

SiennaNealon Tue 29-Nov-16 21:57:28

I was also recommended Vichy, which I bought. My skin has been too dry/sensitive until now.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 22:07:20

Sienna thank you, I suppose I should push for a referral, I have kind of just accepted this is how my skin issad but would love to get it sorted. I'm pleased you are getting on top of it. Rosacea is pretty miserable.

SiennaNealon Wed 30-Nov-16 00:22:52

My gp was a bit snotty but I was past caring. He asked if I wanted to be refered to a private doctor and I just said 'no thanks' and stared him out. I was pretty miserable and stress at work was. A king my skin worse. It's massively better, I'm so glad I persevered.

I'll try the Estee Lauder Foundation. I like Benefit Boing concealer.

sksk Wed 30-Nov-16 11:11:10

Is the daktacort ok to use long term because it contains a steroid? I can understand it probably reduces the inflammation but I thought it was a short term fix? The other part of dakracort is an anti fungal- are they treating you for sebhorric dermatitis instead? . I've heard Nizoral shampoo is good if what you have is more sebhorric dermatitis than rosacea but please check with a doctor first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now