Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I pull myself together!

(13 Posts)
dangle90 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:17:47

Hello everyone,
So last night my OH discovered a bald patch on my head (I'm a 26 year old female) today I've been to the Drs and have been diagnosed with alopecia areata.
I didn't go back to work after as I feel that bad about it! Do I need to pull myself together or would anyone else feel this bad?

BusterGonad Wed 30-Nov-16 06:20:05

I would be devastated by it, but it won't help getting upset and distressed. Am I right in thinking stress can be a factor? Is the bald patch noticeable? If your partner found it recently then I'm due no one else has noticed it. I've had no encounter with alopecia before but wanted to support you.

dangle90 Wed 30-Nov-16 07:01:37

This is the patch. I can cover this one but I can't help having it in the back of my mind that it's going to get worse as the Dr said it will probably get worse before it gets better. Stress can be a factor, but it's an auto immune disease, so nothing can be done about it. I'm going back to work today. Thanks for your support it is really kind of you x

BugPlaster Wed 30-Nov-16 07:04:52

I think it's understandable to be upset about it and I hope getting back in to normal routine today helps you feel a bit better.

BusterGonad Wed 30-Nov-16 07:21:06

I do feel for you OP, I have a autoimmune disease too (Crohn's) and it's very frustrating to think your body is fucking itself up, so to speak. You just need to try to put on a brave face and be strong. Easier said than done I know. If it is expected to get worse before it gets better I'd start researching nice hair accessories and things that can distract from it, if that's the way you want to go, obviously you may be happy to leave it and be natural but it's just an idea. I remember reading a blog by a woman who had it, she was into all things beauty, hair and clothes. I will try to find it for you, just as a boost to make you feel a bit more hopeful.

dangle90 Wed 30-Nov-16 08:33:40

Thanks bug.
Aw yeah that would be great if you could buster. Some staff at work are really good about it and others are just making me feel rubbish like it shouldn't bother me.
I bet the crohns is awful sad but you totally hit the nail on the head! It's more of it been so unpredictable that's a worry. People keep telling me not to worry because it might make it worse but it's hard when it's your own body, it's all easier said than done.
It will just take time to let it sink in I suppose. I do feel better today though. Thank you both for your replies x

Ilovetorrentialrain Wed 30-Nov-16 08:39:16

Hi OP it's understandable you'd be upset! Nobody should be telling you how to feel about this.

On a practical note have you had a play round with hair styles to minimise it, if that's what you'd like to do? Maybe a ponytail, even with a bit of false hair clipped in. Ignore me if you don't feel like doing this.

My grandmother had a period of stress-related alopecia when she was in her 40s. I remember her saying what a shock it was!

BusterGonad Wed 30-Nov-16 08:49:14

I cannot find the blog I was referring to, I have a feeling she may have had Trichitillomania, but I will keep looking, I did stumble across plenty of blogs for you though, try typing in this alopecia online blogs there are loads listed. Mainly women your age. I hope you find this helpful, you must try to remember that your hair will probably change, maybe get worst if that's what the doctor said, but your hair doesn't define who you are! You are still you, maybe you could book a session with someone who specializes in hair who can teach you new ways of wearing your hair to disguise your patch/patches. To be prepared for the worse will defiantly help you feel more confident. By the way your current patch doesn't look so bad to me. Obviously to you it's devastating but honestly it's not so bad. I will keep looking for the other blog for you.

BusterGonad Wed 30-Nov-16 08:53:29

By the way I've been diagnosed for just over a year and I've still not got to grips with it, it's just bloody hard with an illness with no cure. And don't even bother to look for a reason you've got it, there is no reason just shitty bad luck.

dangle90 Wed 30-Nov-16 09:18:32

Aww thanks to you all for your ideas I'm deffo going to look up people that do blogs and hair ideas now. I know at the moment I can cover it but I'm a worrying Wendy. I heard a quote the other day though that was "worrying is like walking around with an umberella when it may never rain" so true, I just need to keep reminding myself of that.
X

dangle90 Wed 30-Nov-16 09:19:46

It must be terrible gonad I know with crohns comes pain aswel atleast I don't have any of that to contend with! I need to thank myself lucky.
If only they could come up with a cure ey sad x

BusterGonad Wed 30-Nov-16 09:22:21

Worrying is like a rocking horse, it keeps you going but gets you nowhere! grin

BusterGonad Wed 30-Nov-16 09:25:25

Don't think yourself lucky, what causes you emotional pain doesn't get out ranked by someone else's physical pain. Pain is pain. You will learn to deal with and cope with it. It's all new to you. Give yourself time to be upset, hurt and angry. Then you can gradually build yourself up again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now