Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Catheter for acute urine retention

(1 Post)
Piehunter Sun 27-Nov-16 10:49:18

On Wednesday I went to a A and E having been unable to pee for 14 hours, eventually catheterised at about 10.30am (approx 800ml void?) stayed for a couple of hours while they decided what to do and then they discharged me home with catheter for 7 days (this is the second time I've been in UR, last time was 12 hours, 900ml void, in/out catheter solved it and I was able to go by myself a few hours later).

No referral, gp to refer in a week when I go to get catheter removed. Completely unexplained retention as no infection. I do have weird, lots of undiagnosed health stuff with v limited mobility (Wheelchair outside house) and many strange symptoms, as well as diagnosis of antiphospholipod syndrome. Have had spine mri recently to rule out cauda equina, have had 2 brain mri's in past 10 years and awaiting a new one as my haematologist feels "something is not right" with my leg symptoms and bladder together.

I am regularly unable to pee when I want to, having to go back and try again later and recently I seem to be missing the feeling of needing to go, I get lower abdo pain from fullness rather than the urge to pee.

Friday night I had a bladder spasm severe enough that my catheter was causing pain and I was bypassing it. Went to OOH who decided to remove it as no reason for retention and worth a try... This was at 10pm Friday night, told to ring ooh again if unable to pass urine myself. 6am I wake up, no real need to pee but having drunk near enough a litre overnight I know I need to... Phone OOH to be messed about, eventually re catheterised at 10am, with a 1.2L void.

I'm losing hope that anything will have changed by Wednesday and that I'll end up re-catheterised, as after 3 days with cath I was unable to pee again, or is there something magic that happens after a week of catheterisation that means I will be able to pee by myself again?!

Any help/experiences welcomed, it's the unknown that is so unpleasant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now