Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diarrhoea after surgery?

(7 Posts)
LunaLoveg00d Fri 25-Nov-16 22:04:47

Had an abdominal hysterectomy on Tuesday, discharged from hospital today. All good.

Was warned that taking codeine may make me constipated but my body is reacting in the opposite way! Diarrhoea is not uncontrollable, I am feeling a lot of gas build up and when I go to the loo, very loose and watery stools. No blood. Something to worry about or just a normal side effect of surgery bearing in mind my bowels and bladder have been squished around during the procedure and have been hampered by a massive fibroid for the past 5 years?

NoahVale Sat 26-Nov-16 10:10:51

perhaps you caught a bug from the hospital?

NoahVale Sat 26-Nov-16 10:11:29

or just a change to your diet/the water? are you on anyj other medication?

LunaLoveg00d Sun 27-Nov-16 09:46:26

Seems to have passed very quickly and i'm now fine - putting it down as a reaction to the anaesthetic or penicillin I was given in theatre as I was very sick after coming round from the operation.

iwantmycakeandtoeatit Sun 27-Nov-16 09:49:28

I have a lot of surgery...normally I start off bunged up,then my stomach turns sour....its 100% normal but if worried pleases call GO or NHS helpline,which will tell you same thing (I'm on 8 super strong Codine a day)

iwantmycakeandtoeatit Sun 27-Nov-16 09:50:12

"GP" ffs

cherrytree63 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:12:32

Possibly due to antibiotics, or could it actually be that you are constipated from the codeine and it's actually"back flow"?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now