Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone any experience of uti in men?

(9 Posts)
terafinto Thu 24-Nov-16 15:10:00

Poor dh is on day 2 of antibiotics for a uti but he is feeling really really unwell, most unlike him. He isnt able to sleep, and has managed some lunch but has been in bed since 8o'clock last night which is highly unusual for him. He doesnt have a fever, and the uti seems to be resolving but he feels a little nausea and very achy.
To complicate things I had a bug that was going around work at the weekend and felt dire for 36hours, bar the uti very similar symptoms to him now.
Does anyone have any experience of urinary infections in men and how long they take to improve? Is he malingering or should I be worrying about a kidney infection? How long should we leave it before going back to the doctor if he doesnt improve?
Poor dh, he is really suffering sad

Footle Thu 24-Nov-16 17:51:41

If he's 'really suffering' he isn't , by definition, malingering. Men get ill too. It sounds as if yours has, so go on looking after him.

Jakadaal Thu 24-Nov-16 18:03:25

UTIs in men can be awful. DH ended up in hospital overnight recently with one due to high temp, fever, hallucinations etc. I think they can be quite unusual (as compared to women) so GP asap to get sample tested and antibiotics started if necessary. DH was unwell for about 3 weeks in total

terafinto Thu 24-Nov-16 18:41:28

Thanks jakadal he's already seen the doctor, we are waiting for the results of a urine culture and he is on his second day of antibiotics. Thankfully he has taken a turn for the better and is currently tuking into homemade mac and cheese on the sofa. He's started with a head cold so I think he has my bug on top poor soul. And footle I only put malingering in to lighten the post a bit and not sound too much like a silly fretting wife. Anyhoo

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 24-Nov-16 18:55:24

DH was plagued by UTIs for a while, and they were really nasty ones - fever and hallucinations as well as the usual symptoms. They are more unusual in men than women and can be more serious. The GP said that if DH caught another one they'd have to scan him for kidney stones - as if by magic, he hasn't had one since!

terafinto Thu 24-Nov-16 19:05:48

Fingers crossed it stays that way peace! Dh has never had one before so it's a bit of a worry. I expected him to get a prostate exam at the gps but he didn't. Hopefully it's a one off, I think he will be taking any steps he can to avoid again!

zen1 Thu 24-Nov-16 19:23:16

DB had one when he was at university. I remember him phoning home at 6 in the morning almost crying with pain and wondering what was wrong with him (and he was someone who, under normal circumstances, you'd be lucky to hear from more than once a month). I think he went to A&E in the end he felt so bad. They prescribed abx, but he was very unwell for a few days and stayed in bed / didn't feel like doing anything.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 24-Nov-16 19:24:40

UTIs in men can be awful. DH ended up in hospital overnight recently with one due to high temp, fever, hallucinations etc

My DH had this last year. It was awful.

I hope your DH feels better soon OP.

terafinto Fri 25-Nov-16 08:14:42

Thanks zen and piglet. He's feeling much better in himself but now finding it hard to empty his bladder so back to the doctors today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now