Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain when weeing

(6 Posts)
CrohnicallyPregnant Wed 23-Nov-16 19:59:45

I've had pain when I'm going to the toilet for around 2 1/2 weeks now. It's mainly towards the end of urination as the flow slows, it is painful enough to make me grimace and unintentionally stop the flow and have to concentrate to restart. The pain is rightwhere the urine comes out. Sometimes it feels sore after going or when I need to go as well.

I am trying to drink plenty of fluids, including cranberry juice, but to be honest it doesn't seem to make much difference, except I'm now going to the toilet very frequently!

My urine has been dipsticked 4 times since symptoms began, the only thing it has shown up is a small amount of leukocytes in some (but not all) samples. The hospital has also run a culture test which came back 'no further action required'.

Last week at the suggestion of my GP I used thrush treatment in case that was the cause of the pain, but it hasn't helped.

As my username suggests, I'm pregnant, about 14 weeks, in case that has any bearing on it!

So if it isn't a UTI or thrush, what could be causing the pain? Anyone had anything similar?

Tanfastic Wed 23-Nov-16 22:59:30

Chances are it will be a UTI as a lot of UTI's aren't picked up on a dipstick or culture unfortunately. I've just been through months of this and tons of antibiotics that didn't work. It eventually went away on its own although I've still got minuscule amounts of blood on a dipstick (had kidney scans and camera in bladder but nothing showed).

I guess it's just one of those things. I wouldn't know what else to suggest as I had the same problem - GP wouldn't give me anymore antibiotics as my cultures were coming back negative.

The only other thing it could be is a Sti or vaginal infection as some of these can mimic UTI symptoms. I was swabbed for everything from chlamydia to thrush (even though I've been married nine years). All came back negative.

CrohnicallyPregnant Thu 24-Nov-16 15:09:41

Thanks- but how do you know it was a UTI if the tests were negative and it didn't respond to antibiotics?

I very much doubt it's an STI, I have been tested recently, though I guess it could be a different kind of vaginal infection?

The GP is supposed to be phoning me this afternoon so I'll see what he suggests.

Tanfastic Thu 24-Nov-16 15:18:29

I've had to assume because I've had every test going all of which have come back negative. It very much felt like an UTI.

CrohnicallyPregnant Thu 24-Nov-16 19:22:40

The doctor wasn't much help... he won't prescribe anything without clear indication of what is causing this. I'm to redo urine tests next week in case they later become positive. If I feel ill or develop new symptoms in the meantime get in touch.

Tanfastic Thu 24-Nov-16 19:46:41

If it persists, you need to ask to be referred to a urologist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now