Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you diagnose me?

(25 Posts)
Backingvocals Wed 23-Nov-16 15:17:43

For the past few months I've been suffering with digestive problems and that's not something I've ever had before. I'll wake up with a shocking headache and it feels digestion-related somehow. My stomach will be churning all day or I'll feel a bit sick. Burping. Sometimes (occasionally) diarrhoea. No indigestion pain.

Today is a good example. Horrible, horrible headache that painkillers won't touch and I almost don't expect them to as it doesn't feel like that sort of headache iyswim, waves of sickness, burping. But not actually sick.

I can't put it down to anything I'm eating (yesterday I ate a yogurt with granola, a salmon salad, some chocolate biscuits and a lentil soup).

Usually it lasts a day and the next day I'm ok. Happening about once a week. I'm due to see the GP but not for a few weeks and I'd like to go with some ideas which I know GPs don't like but I don't want to be fobbed off. Any thoughts?

80schild Wed 23-Nov-16 15:20:52

Are you saying it comes and goes or is it permanently there? Have you had anything like this before?

Backingvocals Wed 23-Nov-16 15:23:34

It comes and goes. I felt fine yesterday. Will probably feel ok tomorrow.

Sometimes it's a day, sometimes it's a couple of days, but in between times I'm ok.

Backingvocals Wed 23-Nov-16 15:24:32

And no, never had this before. I never really get digestive problems as a general rule.

KookSpook Wed 23-Nov-16 15:25:03

Do you take regular medication for something else?

Backingvocals Wed 23-Nov-16 15:28:20

Yes I'm hypothyroid so I take 150mg of thyroxine. Also take ferrous gluconate due to historically low iron levels but fine now. Oh and HRT patches.

Bloopbleep Wed 23-Nov-16 15:30:20

Have you been to an actual doctor?

ggirl Wed 23-Nov-16 15:30:37

Might be an idea to keep a food diary to see if there is a food intolerance causing your symptoms

80schild Wed 23-Nov-16 15:44:24

If it comes and goes it is probably nothing sinister (if it clears completely). I hate saying this because it sounds like a bit of a cop out but it could be hormone related. If you are mid to late 30s this is probably what you will be told.

BusterGonad Wed 23-Nov-16 16:01:43

You are eating a lot of fiber and gassy foods, salad can be an issue for sensitive stomachs, granola is hard to digest and lentils will cause gas/wind. Try to eat bland fiberless food to see if that helps. Then reintroduce your normal stuff and see what happens.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 23-Nov-16 16:03:56

Horrible headaches that pain relief doesn't touch plus nausea equals migraines for me.

Backingvocals Wed 23-Nov-16 16:35:33

Funnily enough, although I havent noticed a food cause that explains all of it, it happened on two occasions after I'd eaten celery. Can celery do this to you? And can you become suddenly become unable to digest things you've always been fine with, like celery and lentils?

Looks like I'd bettter keep a food diary.

To answer other qs, not seen a doctor yet. There's a month's wait at my surgery for non urgent appointments. I'm going in a couple of weeks but wanted to have some ideas of my own first.

I'm late 40s. Never, ever had a migraine before but could they also start at this age? Damn this ageing lark

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 23-Nov-16 17:06:01

Celery is a very common and significant allergen - it's one of those, along with nuts and lactose among other things, that it's good practice to put in bold on ingredients lists as people can have very bad reactions to it.

Migraines can onset at any time, and hormonal changes connected with menopause are definitely a likely trigger.

BusterGonad Wed 23-Nov-16 17:06:03

Yes you can, I noticed whenever I ate a very healthy salad heavy lunch I'd be one ill. I've science been diagnosed with IBD! No more salad or high fiber food for me now!

BusterGonad Wed 23-Nov-16 17:07:10

God, I mean become ill, and since being diagnosed

VIOLETsunflower Wed 23-Nov-16 19:01:04

I've been having issues (increasing issues) since I started iron. It took ages too settle and I had to stop milk which really helped. I think it was the lactose, but I switched to coconut milk. I took buckets of probiotics (biokult from boots or online) and it finally settled enough to have some milk.

Crazily though my iron has gone up a lot - so I'm cutting back on milk except one tea in the morning now! It essentially was a kind of ibs I think.

I did notice the burping coming back the other day when milk crept into tea all day again so I'm sticking to this.

Perhaps try cutting a couple of things out and then trialling it again.

Onions seems to be bad for me now too.

Mil developed severe gluten and lactose intolerance a couple of years ago in her 60's. It is possible for it to suddenly happen.

I was tested a lot for coeliac too as that can come on. (Linked to hypothyroidism too) I'm clear though; gluten isn't an issue for me.

Backingvocals Wed 23-Nov-16 19:27:48

Hmm. Food intolerance does fit. Headache is lifting and I was wondering about eating something (Ive not eaten anything yet today) but I can't imagine what that might be. I thought of a yogurt and then thought no dairy. Toast? Not if its gluten related I guess. Ok, bed, no supper, food diary and think about food sensitivites.

SwearyGodmother Wed 23-Nov-16 19:42:22

How long have you been taking the ferrous gluconate for? I found it really disrupted my digestive system and gave me horrendous acid reflux. Digestive issues are a really common side effect for iron tablets. I switched to ferrous fumerate and was much better off.

Backingvocals Wed 23-Nov-16 19:47:10

I dont think it is the iron. Ive been on it for years and at the beginning had some trouble until I found the gluconate which suited me. But tbh, I havent taken it for four weeks because my prescription has run out so thats on my to do list.

But having read all this I wont start it again now that I know it could aggravate this current problem, until I've got to the bottom of it.

Shurelyshomemistake Wed 23-Nov-16 19:50:14

Mmm. Could be absolutely anything. What was the cause identified for your low iron levels and does this underlying cause persist?

Backingvocals Wed 23-Nov-16 19:54:39

Thanks for all the ideas...

Low iron was probably caused by hypothyroidism combined with excessive bleeding. But I'm on thyroxine now and have the mirena so that, plus iron supplements, have pushed my iron back into almost normal levels.

DialsMavis Wed 23-Nov-16 19:54:44

Low fodmap sorted out my digestive issues and joint aches and headaches. It is a very boring diet though. I have to do it every few months for a few weeks afer I slip back to a normal diet.

VIOLETsunflower Wed 23-Nov-16 20:59:20

It was looking at the fodmaps diet that helped me work out what it was.

There's no chance you're on too much thyroxine? Can cause digestive issues but normally diarrhoea.

flumpybear Wed 23-Nov-16 21:07:12

As it's a while still Before you see your doctor take the time to write a food and health diary and GP can see if there's a pattern

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 23-Nov-16 21:10:29

Is it a migraine type of headache?

www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/migraine-what-is-it/symptoms-and-stages/

Migraines are often accompanied by digestive symptoms

If it is a migraine your GP can recommend specific medication

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now