Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fentanyl withdrawal- how long?

(15 Posts)
Mehfruittea Mon 21-Nov-16 18:05:32

Can anyone help tell me how long withdrawal lasts for fentanyl? I haven't gone cold turkey but stepped down from 25 Mcg to 12mcg. Today is day 11 and I'm starting to find a little more energy but need to know when I can consider myself through the worst. This is the 3rd time I have attempted to withdraw and this is the furthest I've got. Please give me some hope !!

Mehfruittea Tue 22-Nov-16 17:23:19

Anyone?

TaintedAngel Tue 22-Nov-16 17:26:44

Watching this as my DM is on 50mcg patches on top of shortex tabs and we will be beginning the process of weaning her off of those soon. She's been on them for years.
Massive well.done for how far you have came OP.

Mehfruittea Tue 22-Nov-16 20:36:25

Thanks so much. I'm just hoping to get through this and be ok. My fear is that I wean myself off only to find that it was the right level of pain relief and have to go back on it. My underlying problem hasn't been fixed or improved so I don't know what is pain from my medical condition and what is crap from withdrawal. Hoping to get some responses from the lovely MNers but maybe not. I will return to this and let you know how I get on! confused

DoItTooJulia Tue 22-Nov-16 20:38:58

I don't know, but I wanted to wish you luck. flowers

Mehfruittea Tue 22-Nov-16 20:54:39

Thanks Dolt. I've got a cracking headache, sore throat and feel flu like. I assume this is still withdrawal on day 12. Or I have a cold...hmm

DoItTooJulia Tue 22-Nov-16 21:26:19

There's a nasty bug doing the rounds in my neck of the woods, so it could be. TLC is what you need-I reckon bed with a hot chocolate would help smile

Mehfruittea Tue 22-Nov-16 23:05:33

brew thanks. I'm having to do this in secret from DH. He thinks I'm just extra tired/narky/lazy at the moment. I tried to do this a year ago and gave in on day 4 - he asked me to as he said it was too much pressure on him to look after me through it. I spoke to him again about 2 months ago and he talked me out of doing it. So I'm on my own with this. I'm determined this time to go all the way. If the pain is too much after 30 days I think I will ask my GP for something different to manage my condition. Thanks for your support. smile

hairymuffet Tue 22-Nov-16 23:25:46

flowers

TaintedAngel Tue 22-Nov-16 23:31:07

I would really encourage you to speak to your DH. Trying to come off of drugs (including prescription) is a really difficult thing and you need support and encouragement from those around you. He may find it difficult but it's much harder for you. Without putting too fine a point on it he needs to pull his head out his own arse and support you. Also engage with your gp to help you get through it and to look at alternative medications for pain management as being in a lot of pain might encourage you to use the patches again.
Are you under a pain management service? Ask your GP to be referred. And also if you think it will help you could ask your GP if there are any drug councilors who can assist with the weaning process.

Mehfruittea Wed 23-Nov-16 09:21:11

Thanks Angel. DH had a breakdown last year, and so really isn't capable of pulling his head out of his arse I'm afraid. I know he just isn't able to support me. If I tell him now, then ask him to do something for me when he is already struggling (like a cup of tea or to put DS to bed) he will tell me to just go back in the patches. I've come this far now, I will tell him when I'm confident it's over.

I have a pain clinic, fucking useless tossbags have referred me for CBT. I work a full time job, I'm a mum, in a wheelchair and I need the right pain relief. Not a different way of thinking about the pain. I'm hoping that the lower dose of patch will help me with cognitive function at work, otherwise I will probably lose my job too!! grin my Gp knows and has prescribed the lower dose with a shrug, kinda do whatever you want style. So I'm on my own in RL, hoping to get support online. Thanks everyone xx

FruitCider Wed 23-Nov-16 09:29:51

Meh I'm a detox nurse and regularly detox people from fentanyl. If you pm me with it is exactly you are taking I should be able to give you a rough idea.

Mehfruittea Wed 23-Nov-16 09:53:21

Thanks so much fruitcider I'll send a PM flowers

Mehfruittea Thu 24-Nov-16 21:47:55

I sent a PM yesterday to fruitcider.

Today (Day 14) I've been feeling a bit better. DH has a sore throat bless him so we do indeed have a cold within our midst.

And I'm pretty much guaranteed now I will lose my job. Argh!! angry can someone give me a break?

DoItTooJulia Thu 24-Nov-16 21:50:33

Well, I'm pleased for you about day 14 going better. Not so good about the job though. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now