Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How on earth do I figure out what's causing this rash?

(10 Posts)
TarkaLiotta Mon 21-Nov-16 11:25:33

Got an itchy rash on my face earlier this year, accompanied by itchy eyes, runny nose etc - assumed hayfever of some kind and took antihistamines for it which helped. Stopped taking antihistamines after summer but now rash is back, along with itchy eyes. Not worn any make up for months, using very plain moisturiser (am prone to reactions from cosmetics etc), not changed washing powder, can't think of any obvious triggers. Thinking I should probably go along to the GP, but is there any point? Won't they just say to take antihistamines as it's an allergic rash? Would prefer to try and work out what's causing it, but where on earth to start? Please help, lovely MN-ers!

BusterGonad Mon 21-Nov-16 11:34:12

Right I'm going to write a list of possibles. New pillow/duvet, apparently feather ones can cause issues? New carpets? New house cleaning products? New shampoo? Contact lens solution? New pet? Have you been doing DIY, strong paint etc...

Seeline Mon 21-Nov-16 11:37:36

Check the packets of all the products that you use - I dread the 'new, improved' logos.

You say this happened earlier this year - could it be connected wit the drier atmosphere of centrally heated homes?

I too have had mystery rashes - obviously allergies, but never discovered what. I did go to the GPs once and they just gave me antihistamines and said I would probably never find out what caused it.....

TarkaLiotta Mon 21-Nov-16 11:54:53

No, nothing new - too skint!! What's worrying me is that I can't just take antihistamines forever, but when I stop taking them the itching drives me crazy. Just looked in the mirror and face is covered in bumps and my eyes look like I've got a bad hangover, all pink and watery :-( Stupidly googled and it just came up with lupus, but I think I might have a few more worrying symptoms if it was that grin Bugger, I'm going to have to go to the GP aren't I?

Seeline Mon 21-Nov-16 11:56:50

The GP might be able to arrange some allergy testing for you.

BusterGonad Mon 21-Nov-16 16:50:56

I had severe swollen itchy flakey eyelids and lower lids for about 3 months, about 6/7 months later I was diagnosed with Crohn's. Looking back over my life I've had most of the symptoms of it but all at different times. Get the doctor to do blood tests. CRP for inflammation and iron etc. good luck OP. Hopefully it's just an allergy.

Cakescakescakes Mon 21-Nov-16 16:54:56

I get a bad outbreak of facial eczema rashes if I'm under extreme stress. Could it be stress related?

Cakescakescakes Mon 21-Nov-16 16:55:34

Apparently nail polish is a big cause of facial allergies. People touching their faces etc. Could that be it?

TarkaLiotta Mon 21-Nov-16 17:02:30

Could well be stress related - am FT caring for my 2 autistic DC and life is a tad hectic. Definitely not nail polish - I have a weird "thing" about nails and mine are clipped as short as possible with nothing on them! I think it's worth a blood test - def not Crohn's as my dad has it and I was tested earlier this year - but could be something underlying I guess. Are allergy tests reliable these days?

BusterGonad Tue 22-Nov-16 04:20:45

Get yourself to the doctor OP, have a few blood tests if possible and let's hope they get to the bottom of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now