Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sleep when in pain and on shifts

(6 Posts)
Gingernaut Sat 19-Nov-16 01:51:11

Hello

I have started a thread about foot pain already.

I work intermittent nights and I'm in pain from problems with my feet including bunions and newly diagnosed fat pad atrophy.

I have trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep and it's affecting me badly.

For a variety of reasons, I can't take tranquilisers, anti-inflammatories and I'm wary of opiates as they too make me feel 'hungover'.

If anyone has any useful ideas about getting rest, I'd be grateful to hear them.

sorryoldwoman Sat 19-Nov-16 02:19:46

I was a nurse and worked 12 hour shifts my feet would hurt for days. almost like they were bruised. Have you tried soaking them in hot water? For pain I use biofreeze roll on they also make a gel. It is an amazing pain relief product.

Gingernaut Sat 19-Nov-16 02:58:29

This the stuff?

Biofreeze @ Boots

I'm prepared to give it a go, although Renaud's Syndrome is a problem as well. sad blush

sorryoldwoman Sat 19-Nov-16 03:13:10

Yes! That's it.

sorryoldwoman Sat 19-Nov-16 03:15:26

Oh dear that sure doesn't help. I wouldn't use hot water then. Your circulation needs to be considered.

Gingernaut Sat 19-Nov-16 03:55:02

Yup. I have trouble getting to sleep because me feet are painful and cold so I use bed socks and then once I've warmed up, get too warm so I wake up.

Can't win.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now