Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding during/after smear

(5 Posts)
onedayimightforget Fri 18-Nov-16 22:07:25

I had my smear today and the nurse said there was some bleeding and that its normal but I'm just wondering what causes this bleeding? I've had smears before and not had a problem and I also had countless internal exams whilst pregnant with no bleeding. It's not heavy, just spotting, it's more as a matter of interest I wonder what causes it.

dementedpixie Fri 18-Nov-16 22:13:19

Because they have scraped cells from your cervix maybe! Mine bleeds a little but is linked to having the mirena coil as it can make the cervix a bit more fragile

sadie9 Fri 18-Nov-16 23:02:55

Because i think in recent years they changed the little spatula they used to collect the cells to a little brush (like a mascara brush) and this can cause a bit more spotting. Before there was a lot of tests returned due to insufficient amount of cells and the test had to be repeated.

onedayimightforget Sat 19-Nov-16 11:41:42

It could be the different brush. They took cells in each of my examinations while I was pregnant and I didn't bleed so I don't think it's that alone.

bluepinafore Sat 19-Nov-16 17:53:07

I take smears and we use plastic brushes which obviously can make the cervix bleed as we sweep it. But like the last poster said - not everybody does. Depends how friable the surface of your cervix is and how easily irritated it is xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now