Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you double check this with GP?

(7 Posts)
booox Fri 18-Nov-16 13:37:02

Since the birth of my son I've had difficulty maintaining my ferritin levels. Not hugely low but we found raising them over 70-80 helped a lot.

It went back down quite quickly when I stopped tablets and I started feeling unwell again so restarted.

I then started getting such terrible reactions to the iron that I was loosing weight so stopped, checked ferritin (76) and then checked a month later to see if it had dropped very much.

- It's 110 now - which is bloody amazing but puzzles me. I've had a relatively heavy period and I expected it to drop a bit but not rise; I've not taken iron at all. But, my gut is lots better and food not shooting through so could this be it? I stopped having milk for a while. Ive dropped my thyroxine a tiny smidge but not much!

An aunt has heamachromatosis (iron overload so v high ferritin) and my dad is a carrier of the gene.

Is it worth just double checking with GP? / wwyd? I'm being cautious as I've been so poorly with fatigue due to a range of reasons but don't want to 'fuss' and be the walking well!

booox Fri 18-Nov-16 13:37:50

I just phoned receptionist out of interest to get result. It's totally normal and really good I know.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 18-Nov-16 13:39:24

can I ask how you've been checking your ferritin levels, is it through the gp? (just a nosy question as I suspect mine is low at present, but it takes a month to see my gp)

NannyR Fri 18-Nov-16 13:40:17

I'm sure your gp will be in contact if he thinks there is anything to worry about.

booox Fri 18-Nov-16 13:51:44

Yes through GP. I had 'itchy bones' (very weird) and GP did say they aim for over 70 in the elderly (im 39 confused). I got very tired again when it crept down to 50 - which in most people is fine (though GP now refers to 70 as 'normal'.)

I only ask as the GP doesn't know about the heamachromatosis as it's quite a recent diagnosis in my relative; as immune was on the low side I'd not thought relevant!

But I think I'll just mention it next time I'm there. My aunt spent years suffering before anyone twigged.

slightlyinsane Sat 19-Nov-16 21:13:42

There's a few things that could have an impact, milk slows down the absorption of iron. So stopping that will have helped. Your stomach settling will have helped.
Dropping your thyroxine a bit will have helped.
Individually each one wouldn't of made a huge difference, combined they've obviously helped lots

booox Sun 20-Nov-16 07:08:25

Thanks slightly.

I'm surprised as it took two months of 400mg a day with vit c to raise it by that amount. This has been a month of nothing. And I've only dropped thyroxine by 50 a week (two 25 tablets). So hardly anything.

As I say I would be v impressed if it were not for the heamachromatosis niggle, but I don't know why that would suddenly start.

Quite amazed at the impact of no / limited milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now